Chapter 56:Breaking

That was the worst 2 and a half hours of my life I think to myself. Kasiaya and Carl decided to go hang out with Ron and the others so I'm on my own, well not completely by myself, I do have Tony.

I walk around the neighborhood trying to familiarize myself with the houses. I think back to before the apocalypse hit, 5 blocks away from my house was a place sorta of like this one.

I had a friend who lived there, named Ethan. He was my only friend, he wasn't a dick and his family helped me out a lot. I don't know if he made it or not but a small part of me hoped he did.

"Oh my goodness what an angel," I hear someone say snapping me out of my thoughts.

I look at where the voice came from seeing an old couple, "How old is he?" The woman asks "About a year and a half" I say she and the man smile. "If it's not an issue may I hold him?" She asks.

I glance around before nodding, I walk up the steps of the porch. The woman holds her hands out for him and I cautiously hand him over. She starts cooing him while the man tickles him lightly.

Tony starts gurgling and wiggling in the woman's arms. "Is he your brother?" She asked, "No, a friend of mine passed away and she asked I take care of him." I explain.

She gives me a sad smile "He's a beautiful baby," she says I smile lightly as she and her husband I'm guess, coo Tony who seemed to be enjoying all the attention.

After a few more minutes I leave walking around again, I run into Carl. "Hey, where you hurrying off to?" I ask he shrugs "I don't know." He mumbles avoiding eye contact. I knew he was lying.

"Oh..ok bye," I mumble he pats Tony on the head mumbling a quick bye before walking off. I feel a ping of sadness hit me, which I quickly shrug off.

Tony yawns and I look down at him "Nap time?" I question he just lays his head on my shoulder and closes his eyes.

I smile and start walking back to the house.

Once I get there I go upstairs putting Tony (who was already asleep) in my bed placing a few pillows around him and a blanket over him. I kiss his head and leave my room leaving the door cracked.

I go downstairs, nobody was home. I knew Kasiaya and Annie were with friends, I didn't know where Carl was and everyone else was either out exploring Alexandria or at work.

I didn't like it. I know this was selfish of me but I wish Kasiaya, Annie, and Carl never met Ron and the others. Before it was just us, it seemed perfect to me, like I had my own little family inside of the bigger family we were a part of.

I let out a huff sitting on the couch, a few minutes go by and the door opens revealing Maggie. She lets out a sigh sitting next to me on the couch. "I know I'm not an expert on teenagers but from what I can tell you're upset about something." She says glancing over at me.

"Do you like it here?" I ask she watches me closely and shrugs "Yes, I have a good feeling about this place. Do you like it here?" She asks.

I shrug "Before we came here, Kasiaya, Carl, Annie, and I were almost always together. But ever since they met those kids we've been drifting apart, I guess? And I don't like it," I tell her she nods.

"Do you not like that Ron boy and his friends?" She asks "They're soft and weak. If a walker got ahold of them they would most likely die if they can't run. I don't want to be weak too," I tell her.

She nods "Having friends doesn't make you weak, you can let yourself be a kid and have fun and not be weak," Maggie tells me. I nod "Did you get your job yet?" I ask changing the subject she sighs "Nope,"