313 The People Who Cared About Him

As Qiu Ling accompanied him back to his palace, Jing He kept quiet, looking at the ground. He didn't know what to say. After all this time, there should have been a lot to talk about but ... maybe all of this had indeed been a bit much. In his mind, he still saw those images from his second vision and the only reason he could keep calm was that Qiu Ling was tightly holding onto his hand, silently reassuring him of his presence.

Qiu Ling, on the other hand, would have liked to say a thing or two but after thinking about it, his mother-in-law and uncle-in-law seemed to be right: A lot had happened and chances were that Jing He needed rest more than anything else.

Anyway, he already knew quite a bit about what Jing He had gone through. It was only this last stretch of time he hadn't heard anything about. And while this part was likely the reason he had returned in tears and clung to him as if his life depended on it ... it wouldn't be too late to hear about it later, when Jing He had had time to himself. Although ... maybe he wouldn't want to stay alone.

Qiu Ling turned to look at him. He was more than happy that Jing He had stood up for them earlier but now, he seemed a little downcast. Could it be that he regretted it? According to his previous behavior, that would make sense. But he should have made his decision while away so ... maybe not?

He sighed inwardly and let go of the topic. Right now really wasn't the moment for that. He should just bring him back to his palace and then ask whether or not he wanted him to stay. After that, he'd just follow Jing He's lead.

If his beloved wanted him to stay, he'd do so. If he wanted him to leave, he'd do that as well. If he ... actually wanted to elope with him while his father wasn't looking, he'd pick him up and fly to the dragon realm at once. Ah, it certainly wasn't that he was eager to do the latter or anything ... Really, he just wanted to do what would make Jing He happy.

The palace finally appeared in front of them and with it, a pair of voices rang out at once.

"Your Highness!"

Jing He raised his head and stopped in his tracks, his eyes widening. "Huang Lan? Mu Kun?" These were his two regular guards. After how long he hadn't been back, he never would have thought he'd find them standing there just as usual but here they were.

He didn't know what to make of this and turned to look at Qiu Ling, his gaze questioning. Had news of his arrival already spread through the whole city?

Qiu Ling smiled and tugged at his hand, leading him further. "Originally, they wouldn't have needed to stay for the time being but they came to see your uncle and insisted. I guess they ... may have felt guilty for not being able to protect you when you ... were taken away."

The two of them knew that there was absolutely nothing Huang Lan and Mu Kun could have done but Jing He still felt grateful that they cared so much. He had always felt that apart from his family and Qiu Ling, there was nobody who'd ever even think of him if he were to just silently disappear. But it seemed that he had forgotten about at least two people. Even if they couldn't be considered friends, Huang Lan and Mu Kun had indeed been with him for a long time and yes, it seemed that they cared quite a lot. It truly made him feel gratified.

He smiled as he walked up to them and inclined his head. "Huang Lan, Mu Kun."

The two of them nodded and took a closer look, making sure that he was alright. Heaven knew they had felt guilty since the day they watched him being taken away right in front of their eyes. If they had been a little faster or maybe a little stronger, they could have prevented what had happened. That was what they told themselves.

Of course, objectively, they knew that this was likely wrong. Even if they had been either of those things, it wouldn't have mattered. After all, with that sudden storm that disappeared as soon as that person took their crown prince away, and the odd way they had left, that man could have only been a fallen god. And history taught them that one or two people alone could never contend against one of those. It was lucky enough that their crown prince had managed to escape at all. Usually, it wasn't that easy, was it?

The three people were familiar with each other but also not to the point that they would share the details of what had happened. Jing He hesitated for a moment and looked up at Qiu Ling, not sure what to do.

Qiu Ling requited his gaze with a smile and motioned inside. "Alright, let's go. It's been a long journey back. You should rest."

Jing He nodded, smiled at the two guards again, and then walked past them and into his palace.

Entering this place felt odd. Because he had been living in an exact replica while in the High Heavens, it didn't seem as if he had been away for long. And yet, it had indeed been more than two months, hadn't it? He actually didn't have a clear grasp of how much time had passed and he was afraid of what answer he'd receive if he were to ask so he could only bear this uncomfortable feeling.

Qiu Ling followed him around the screen and then stopped in the main room. "Do you ... want to lie down and sleep for a while or ...?" He actually didn't know what Jing He would prefer. It had been so long and so much seemed to have happened. Where were they supposed to even start?

Jing He turned back and looked at him and finally couldn't help but step closer, hugging his waist again. "Can you ... just hold me for a while?"

Qiu Ling blankly let the person hug, hardly even knowing where to put his hands. He suddenly felt like all of this was too good to be true. Could it be that he had fallen asleep over his work and was just having an exceedingly sweet dream? Ah, if so, hopefully, he wouldn't wake up again before Jing He was actually back.