234 An Additional Thought

It seemed easy to make this choice. But as someone who second-guessed his own decisions even if they didn't have grave consequences, Jing He still needed several days to make up his mind about whether or not he should ask about the question of his future children. When he did though, the next question seemed easier to answer.

Maybe it was that after he decided not to take a risk with this question, he had half convinced himself that not making additional sacrifices was for the best and should be done if possible at all. Because of this, he felt that it would be preferable to only watch one possible future.

Maybe he would find out that the negative consequences he had imagined wouldn't come to pass so he didn't have to worry about it. Or maybe what he saw would be so unbearable that he couldn't bear to decide on following that path in the first place which would only leave him with the other choice. No matter what, this seemed to be for the best.

When Tian returned to check up on him, this was the question Jing He was still grappling with. He was sitting in his study, a scroll of paper in front of him which noted all the possible consequences he could imagine to come with either decision and where his uncertainties lay. He had figured that this would help him establish the best fate to peek at but, so far, he was out of luck.

Tian stopped in the doorway to the study and glanced at the scroll. "You haven't made your decision yet?" To be honest, this wasn't unexpected. Considering the type of person Jing He was, even having sat down and written all of this should be considered good. At least he was now putting his vague thoughts and fears into words that could help him communicate them to others. It seemed like a step forward.

Jing He looked up and shook his head. "I have thought about it but I couldn't come to a definitive decision yet." He lowered his gaze, feeling that he was too slow. This shouldn't be as difficult. It wasn't even the final choice he had to make.

Tian didn't comment on that. He was more interested in the progress that had actually been made compared to whether or not that could be considered fast. Judging the way Jing He did this wouldn't help. Seeing where his issues were would though. "Then, how far have you made it? And what has gotten you stuck?"

Jing He looked at the scroll but then turned to Tian instead. "Regarding my future, there are two things I worry about. One is naturally the consequences of my choice between Qiu Ling and my father. The other is ... related but likely not worth pursuing when it comes to the Spring of Fate. Can I ask you something about it though?"

Tian nodded. Whatever got Jing He closer to clearing up his doubts and making his decision was naturally welcome.

"My first child with Qiu Ling would be your son's reincarnation and you were sure that they will live. But my family can only ever have a single child so ... if you were to take this child from us, we would remain without children. I ... don't necessarily mind myself but Qiu Ling is different. This has made me wonder ... could I give him children while on another trial? Would this be possible? After all, I would not be the blood of the Heavenly Family at that time even if the soul is the same."

Tian raised his brows. Even though he usually kept half an eye on Jing He to ensure that nothing would go wrong, he didn't spy on him so closely that he was aware of everything. As a result, he really hadn't expected this question. "Of course, you could."

Jing He nodded. Then it was indeed as he had thought. "Thank you."

"Was that all you wanted to know?"

Jing He nodded again. "Yes. This was weighing on me because I felt that it would be my fault if I couldn't give him what he desires. I felt like this should also be one of my considerations if I were to choose him."

Tian gave a hum but didn't care much.

Jing He hesitated, his mind already churning. In the past seven days, he had been going back and forth on whether this was feasible and if he should try to take a glimpse of fate depending on if it was or if it wasn't. All paths had their own merit even if he finally decided not to try it at all. At the same time, he had had an even more astonishing thought. Since Tian seemed willing to answer his questions, he felt that maybe he should try to ask about this as well.

"If I may ask another question ... During a trial, we would usually reincarnate as human but I know that there have been rare cases of reincarnating in another race as well. Is this ... something that could be influenced? I mean, if I were to do another trial, could I somehow ... make myself reincarnate in the dragon race instead?"

Of course, it needn't be said why he wanted to do so. Qiu Ling might officially be considered a half-blood but he was mostly a dragon. Having a child with another dragon would tilt their blood further in that direction. That might make Qiu Ling feel more of a connection and it would be easier for their children to fit in with everyone else in the dragon realm as well. So if this was possible, he would naturally do so to give Qiu Ling the best he could.

Tian looked at his eager expression and his gaze rested on the dark mark between his brows for a moment. "You do know that as a fallen god, you have a Mark of Wisdom, don't you? This kind of question, you can easily answer it yourself if you just use it."