270 He Wanted To Get Close

Jing He didn't know how long he waited. In comparison to the days of walking, it felt very short though. Soon enough, he heard the sound of the wind change. He looked up but didn't see Qiu Ling's figure yet. The breeze that swept through the mountain range lingered though as if marking the spot where he and An Xin were. This ... was probably what Qiu Ling had done to find them.

Jing He got to his feet and stepped forward, eagerly looking up at the sky. He knew he shouldn't but he looked forward to seeing Qiu Ling. Even if it wouldn't be as it had been before, just getting a glimpse of him was enough. Even if he only appeared to point him in the right direction, he would happily take it.

A few moments later, the man he loved appeared in the distance, rapidly getting closer. His hair and his robes billowed in the wind, looking incredibly handsome. After not seeing him for a while and after the way they had ended things the last time, Jing He almost didn't dare to look at him.

Qiu Ling landed not far away from him and stepped closer.

Before Jing He understood what was happening, he had been pulled against his chest and was wrapped tightly in his arms.

"You have no idea how relieved I am to see you."

Jing He indeed didn't know but ... he closed his eyes and leaned against Qiu Ling's body, pretending for a moment that their love had not yet ended. He, too, was happy to see him. Even if this was only due to the circumstances and due to Qiu Ling being such an upstanding person who would even help someone like him, he still wanted to take advantage of the opportunity. How many of those would there be in the future, after all? Most likely, it would be the only one.

Qiu Ling rubbed his back but then pulled back a moment later. "I ... I'm sorry. I was just ... very worried when I found out that nobody had heard from you for so long." He reached up and rubbed Jing He's cheek before completely stepping back.

Jing He opened his eyes and raised his head again, looking at him with some loss. If only they could have remained like that for a few moments longer ... He really didn't want much. Just ... just a little longer, just a little closer.

Qiu Ling took a deep breath and stepped up to him again.

Jing He hoped he would hug him again but instead, the person just reached out and rubbed An Xin's fury head in the same way he often did when he wanted to calm down.

"It seems you've been going in the right direction but the distance to the capital city is quite far."

Jing He nodded, a little at a loss. He wasn't thinking about the way home though. Anyway, of course, he knew that the capital city of the Nine Heavens was a lot further to the north. After reaching the Shan Dian Trench, he still would have had to travel far. But that wouldn't have mattered as long as he was sure that he wasn't going in the wrong direction.

No, what truly occupied his mind was Qiu Ling's presence and his actions. He still ... sounded so gentle and he had even held him upon meeting. It made his heart flutter and also ... also made him regret his decision a little but he knew he couldn't waver now. He had seen the future. He needed to be sensible and not let those things happen.

He lowered his head, unable to bear looking at Qiu Ling any longer. If he saw him, his heart would only feel more reluctant. It was better to be further away. Even if it still pained him, it would be bearable. Only this close to Qiu Ling did he feel as if even his soul was crying out for him to the point where he was unable to hold himself back.

Qiu Ling kept quiet for a long time as if waiting for him to respond or as if unsure what to say himself. Finally, he lowered his hands, wrapping his arms around Jing He's waist. "Let me bring you back."

Jing He couldn't resist and glanced up. That handsome face was close at hand. In fact, he was so close, he only would have needed to reach out and he could have touched it. He barely held back and simply nodded. Anyway, what else was he to do? He would need forever to return and everyone would just be worried. It was better to accept the help that was readily offered. Not to mention ... he could spend time with Qiu Ling again. Even if the amount would be a lot shorter than the time he'd spend to return, it was enough to satisfy his greed a little.

Qiu Ling inclined his head and leaned closer, bending down slightly and picking him up.

Jing He's eyes widened and he immediately held onto Qiu Ling's shoulder with one hand, hastily stabilizing An Xin with the other. He had thought he would simply lead the way but ... this ... He lowered his eyelids, his cheeks flushing. If he was honest with himself, then this was naturally better. He would never be closer to Qiu Ling again than this. He really should treasure the opportunity.

Qiu Ling seemed to look at him but didn't say much. It was almost as if the words between them had somehow run out after he severed their relationship, making this man who had happily talked to him for hours on end in the past suddenly turn quiet.

Jing He couldn't take it. He loved listening to Qiu Ling and ... he wanted to feel closer to him again. To be held by him, that was naturally a beautiful opportunity but more so than the physical closeness his touch could bring, he wanted to feel closer in spirit and only his words seemed able to bridge that gap that had opened up between them.