241 It's Better to Give Up Less

Author's Note: Alright, time for batch #2!

-------------------

Jing He smiled faintly. To be honest, sitting next to Qiu Ling now and holding his hands, all his issues seemed a lot smaller. "I am happy to see you."

Qiu Ling lowered his head, unable to hide a smile. Of course, he understood what Jing He meant. And, of course ... "I feel the same." He rubbed the side of Jing He's hand with his thumb and looked into his eyes again. "I meant in general though. We haven't seen each other for several weeks. Are you ... doing well in the High Heavens?"

Jing He hesitated a little but finally nodded. "There were a lot of things to think about so I didn't come back any earlier. I ... want to solve this as soon as possible so I figured I should focus on the task at hand."

Qiu Ling hurriedly nodded. "Of course, I don't mean to blame you. I know that things are difficult for you right now. You have to do what is right for you. I just ... miss you a lot but I'm willing to wait. I always am. You know that."

Jing He nodded as well. He felt the same way. Even though he longed to be at Qiu Ling's side every waking moment, he knew that he had to first solve the issue of his current identity to ensure that they had a future together long-term. As hard as it was, he knew what was more important.

He sighed faintly and then started to tell Qiu Ling about what he had been pondering the last few weeks. This was what would bring them closer to their goal so he shouldn't delay the time.

Qiu Ling listened quietly but his brows furrowed. He understood Jing He's need for reassurance so he wasn't surprised that he wanted to take a chance and see what the future had in store for him. It was just ... "Is there a way for somebody else to make the sacrifice for you?" He just ... didn't like the thought that Jing He would have to give up on anything. He wanted his beloved to be safe and happy. He wanted him to gain things by being with him, not lose them irrevocably.

Jing He shook his head. "No, only the one who wants to see the future can make the sacrifice. I am not unwilling to do it either."

Qiu Ling smiled wryly. "I didn't think you'd be. It's me who is not quite willing to accept it. I ... I wish you didn't have to."

Jing He hesitated when he heard that. Maybe he shouldn't do this? If Qiu Ling would be dissatisfied because of it ...

Qiu Ling saw the doubt that had immediately flashed on Jing He's face and bit his tongue. He really shouldn't have said that. "Jing He, my love, don't get me wrong." He let go of his hands and instead reached up, cupping his face. "I know this is important to you. I ... also understand that it is the right and maybe even the only way for you to put your doubts to rest and make this choice.

"I don't mind it. I just ..." He took a deep breath and searched for the right words, not sure how exactly he should explain. "I don't like seeing you lose something. No matter what sacrifice you decide on, I hate the fact that you have to in the first place. I wish everything was easier."

Jing He nodded. When Qiu Ling explained it this way, he understood very well. If it was the other way around, he also wouldn't like seeing him give up something, no matter what that was. "I suppose there is no way around it. Even if there was, it would take a lot of time, and ... I don't want this to take too long."

"I hope you're not feeling rushed because of me."

Jing He shook his head. "No, I also want to recover faster if possible. This ... isn't an easy time for me." He would usually loathe to admit this kind of thing but Qiu Ling had asked him and it would likely seem odd if he wasn't having issues with his current state. "I want to be a trueborn god again. I ... want to see my family again and spend more time with you. I can't do either if I don't solve this so it is best to hurry. Because of this ... I am willing to make a sacrifice. I just don't know what I should give up."

Jing He had mentioned his thoughts on the matter so far. He knew that he couldn't expect Qiu Ling to have a solution for him directly. After all, he had thought about this for a long time but Qiu Ling had only just heard about it. But still, maybe Qiu Ling could think of something he hadn't considered yet. That one argument might allow him to decide on his sacrifice much faster. Then, he could directly go to the Spring of Fate and have a look at his future. Who knew? This way, all of this might be solved in just a couple of weeks.

Qiu Ling furrowed his brows. He also hoped that everything could be solved fast but he'd rather not see Jing He getting injured in the process. He gently brushed through his hair and then reached down, taking one of his hands. "I think it would be best not to give up too much. It's better to look at as little as possible. Just take a glimpse at as much as you need to make your choice, nothing more."

Jing He nodded. "I want to do that, yes. I just don't know when I'll be sure and it is difficult to say ahead of time."

Qiu Ling nodded. He knew that Jing He felt insecure so he felt afraid that he might want to look at more than the absolute necessary but since Jing He said so, this had to mean that they both thought it was better to look at less. As for what to give up ... "I'd advise against giving up one of your senses. Your magic is better, even though giving up a whole strand is a lot as well. Actually ... can your new abilities as a fallen god be given up?"