254 Ready to Depart

Tian couldn't tell what kind of thought process Jing He had just gone through but he didn't intend to question it either. He looked at him for a moment and seeing that he seemed sure of his next action, he finally nodded. "Then let us depart."

Jing He hugged An Xin a little tighter and his brows furrowed faintly. Despite the fact that he had decided on this and even told Tian with some conviction in his voice just now, he felt scared at the thought of what lay ahead of him. If he could have taken Qiu Ling with him, this would have felt so much easier but ... that was obviously a ridiculous thought.

He lowered his head and stepped around the desk, walking into the main room where Tian was waiting. He hesitated for a moment as he gazed at An Xin and finally looked up at the Supreme Sovereign. "The flame heart ... can it be taken along?" Qiu Ling had reassured him that it wouldn't be an issue but he still had some doubts. Since they were about to leave, it was best to make sure now.

Tian nodded. "Yes. The Spring of Fate is difficult to reach for ordinary people but the laws of the world are fair and everyone has the right to go there. The same goes for mythical beasts, of course."

Jing He nodded, feeling reassured. If there was one person who should know not just the rules surrounding the Spring of Fate but even the unwritten customs, then it would be him. This way, he could completely let go of his worries.

Tian raised his hand, opening a portal. He didn't explain anything else and stepped through, waiting on the other side.

Jing He stood in spot, looking at the other side with apprehension. There wasn't much to see. Just what looked like a small square with a flight of stairs leading upward. The sound of water rushing downward could be heard from the other side of the portal as well but he couldn't see any of it.

Was he doing the right thing?

He didn't know and it seemed too late to question it. Anyway, he felt that time was running out and with how easily he got distracted these days, it didn't seem wise to take his time to think about anything. He should just walk ahead and do this. This was what Tian seemed to think was the best as well and he had told Qiu Ling a few days ago that he had gained this opportunity to get closer to his goal. How could he turn around now?

He finally stepped through the portal, his heart racing in apprehension. What kind of place would he find on the other side? Would he manage to make the sacrifice at the spring without mistake? Would he see a future that allowed him to make his decision?

His mind was filled with all kinds of questions and his hands trembled at once.

An Xin made a faint sound and turned in his arms, reaching up to hug his wrist with its paws as if to comfort him.

Jing He's gaze that had been attracted by the tall flight of stairs ahead lowered to the little flame heart and he smiled faintly. "It's alright. We'll do well." He knew that An Xin likely didn't worry. He wasn't even sure if the little mythical beast could completely understand what was going on. Still, telling someone else helped to settle his heart.

He rubbed An Xin's head and then turned to look at Tian. "How do I make the sacrifice?" To be honest, he wasn't sure yet where the Spring of Fate was.

Looking around, he indeed stood on something that could be considered a square, although it might be more apt to describe it as a platform. All around it was a body of water but it was so large that he couldn't see the end of it. Surely, this wasn't the Spring of Fate, was it? He never would have imagined it to be this big ...

Tian raised his hand and motioned up the stairs. "The spring is up there. It is enough to walk up to it and scoop up some of the water. Then, ask your question. It doesn't need to be out loud as long as you are certain of what you want to know and focus on it. I would suggest putting it in words though just to be sure. That way, your mind won't accidentally wander and cause issues."

With a fallen god like Jing He, this was an actual worry to be had. If he trailed off before he finished and his mind flashed another question, who knew how exactly the Spring of Fate would react? Even Tian whose people had created this place, couldn't tell for sure.

Jing He inclined his head. Since Tian said so and since he knew thanks to the Mark of Wisdom that he could go wrong by not being exact enough in his question, he would naturally heed this advice. "I will do so. When I come back ... will you be waiting here? I ... I intend to give up the abilities of a fallen god myself, no matter whether I can return to my original identity afterward." As a result, he naturally wouldn't be able to open a portal and since he didn't know how he had come here, he wouldn't know how to get back either.

Tian looked at him quietly but finally nodded. "I might leave but I will leave the portal to the High Heavens open for you so you can return at will. It will close behind you so if you have recovered, there is no need to tell me." Anyway, he would know but until Jing He had his child, he had no need to interact further with him.

Jing He didn't mind either. Even though he had always admired Tian and Xing, that didn't mean that he wasn't terrified in the Supreme Sovereign's presence. Being able to leave without having to speak again didn't seem like a bad thing.

"Thank you very much. No matter whether it works or not, I appreciate all the help you have given me so far." He inclined his head and then turned back to the staircase. Taking a deep breath, Jing He set his foot on the first step and then climbed up the stairs one step after the other, slowly making his way to the top where the Spring of Fate was waiting for him.