Chapter 59

The repair store was exactly like it looked from the outside, dark and low-ceilinged.

They passed a small foyer and entered the main workshop. Large, greased mechanisms were littered all over the place. A shelf filled the far wall, stacked with toolboxes and random spare parts. The hulking mass of what used to be a starfighter lay half-disassembled in a corner.

y/n and Ahsoka's eyes narrowed as they saw the state of the place. It wasn't the mess and the dimness, it was the fact that everything was covered in a thin layer of dust, the metal tools were stained with brown rust, and the machines were slick with grime.

It was an obvious setup; clearly the shop hadn't been used in a long time.

A strip of neon lights lined the wall, but they seemed broken, too. The only illumination came from a small work light that glowed orange yellow. It stood on a small wheely cart in the centre of the shop, beside a circle on the floor that marked the mech floor where the major repairs took place.

The Wookie and the Sullustan dragged their broken speeder to the floor, and the first Sullustan retrieved the tools to inspect the dysfunctional machine.

All of a sudden, the yellow work light switched off. For half a second everything was black. And then, the glow of blaster bolts filled the air. The Jedi expected their ignited lightsabers would meet them.

Instead, their glowing blades didn't respond.

y/n dodged the first few blaster bolts, still trying in vain to activate his lightsaber. Ahsoka Force-pulled a sheet of thick scrap metal and was using it as a makeshift shield, and he did the same. Instinctively, they adopted a back-to-back stance.

The shots kept coming, with surprisingly good aim; their metal shields left glowing orange marks where the blaster bolts had hit. The sound of heavy footsteps and more blaster bolts, which originated from the walls, announced the arrival of more enemy forces.

The Jedi deflected the shots in a frenzy, feeling the mounting pressure of the ceaseless fire.

The room was briefly illuminated by a magnificent plume of red and orange fire, coming from a flamethrower. Fortunately, there didn't seem to be any fuel in the garage, or explosions would have erupted everywhere.

Together, y/n and Ahsoka quickly disengaged and dropped to the floor to avoid the inferno. The hungry rush of fire continued for a few seconds, before disappearing, leaving a blanket of hot air above their heads. The blaster bolts stopped.

They found cover behind a dusty workbench piled high with schematics and cogs. In the darkness they could just make out each other's silhouette. She executed a few hand signs and he nodded, before they split up.

Sticking against the walls, they went in separate directions, working around the perimeter of the room to locate their attackers.

The darkness had become the Jedi's advantage. Their attackers couldn't see them, but they could sense their attackers.

There were shrieks of surprise and of pain as Ahsoka silently crept around the repair shop, dispatching the unsuspecting shooters on her side with hand-to-hand combat. Her skill was unmatched. They didn't know what knocked them out.

y/n stalked forwards, making his footsteps purposefully audible. A few nervous blaster bolts flew in his direction, but they all missed and he easily dodged any that came close. He could feel the presence of a dozen individuals lined up along the wall, and their growing fear as they heard the yelps of their allies being subdued by Ahsoka.