Before-14

edit: some changes, including the fact that the kyber crystal was UNCOLOURED. i accidentally forgot that ahsoka's lightsaber was green lol, and that the kyber colour comes after it claims its master. anyways. read on.

They had devised a plan to retrieve the crystal from the hole. The debate about who would take the crystal was left undiscussed.

"Ready?" y/n checked, looking at Ahsoka. She was still shivering slightly after being trapped under the ice, and from her close encounter with death.

She nodded, preferring not to speak.

He tossed her his lightsaber, which she easily caught midair. Without another word, y/n took a deep gasp of air and used the Force to control his breath, diving into the water. Ahsoka flinched and recoiled, wrinkling her nose as a huge wave of cold water splashed onto her.

She marvelled at the intricate design of his lightsaber; smooth grooves and adjusting buttons, waxy metal hilt, black and silver. Emitters extended from both sides of the hilt, with small black spikes, possibly handguards, protruding from them like a crown of thorns. She also spotted a button near the middle that was used to separate the long hilt into two lightsabers, so y/n could wield both simultaneously instead of having a double bladed one.

Ahsoka had to admit, she was impressed that y/n was able to manufacture this deadly yet elegant weapon.

Grinning, she activated the lightsaber. There was the distinctive whoosh and warble as a singular blade sprang to life.

Only this wasn't a training weapon. This was real, and dangerous. Ahsoka had only held it a couple times before, when she either stole it off y/n, or when he allowed her to use it.

Unlike the crude training lightsabers, this was a masterpiece.

The ones with which they practiced at the Jedi Temple had adjustments so that the blades weren't dangerous. She knew y/n had secretly removed his weapon's containment field as soon as he discovered how to.

Ahsoka beheld the blade's red shine and held it closely against the water so that it would not freeze over. The energy contained within the weapon sent waves of heat and warmth across her body, slowly drying her clothes and skin. Ahsoka was careful not to hold y/n's lightsaber too close against the water.

It was cold down there. He had entered the water, feeling lukewarm liquid pass against his skin. Now, about ten metres down, the temperature had dropped by a significant amount. y/n felt his teeth chattering uncontrollably.

At least the Force Breathing Control was still functioning, and he was still alive.

It was here that y/n realised how stubborn, determined, reckless and idiotically brave Ahsoka had been. She'd suddenly jumped in, without any thought for her safety, dived down deep whilst the water had constantly grown colder, and refused to turn back until she was almost practically dead.

y/n grinned to himself. His best friend was anything but predictable.

About fifty metres down the pit, the walls of the hole widened out, so that two bodies could have fit.

The bottle-shaped hole's bottom was starting to appear in y/n's vision. The tug of the kyber crystal grew stronger, the Force almost screaming out at him and beckoning.

As he descended further down, the slight glow from his lightsaber that still penetrated down into the hole illuminated the kyber crystal in red, sending shafts of refracted light dancing on the rock walls.

The crystal was bigger than y/n imagined, at least bigger than the ones in his own lightsaber.

He decided that was the reason he found the kyber strange.

y/n shrugged and kicked upwards, using the Force to zoom upwards back to the surface.

He rocketed out of the hole like a ship exiting hyperspace. She barely had any time to register the dark shape rushing up to her before her instincts kicked in, making her leap to the right, almost beheading y/n with his own lightsaber as he emerged from the water.

"Hey! Watch it, Stripey!" y/n grunted.

"Sorry," was Ahsoka's sly reply as she fondly extinguished her friend's weapon. "Did you get it?" She asked, trying to hide her nervousness.

The Togruta doubted that they had long before the cave entrance was sealed, trapping them inside. Perhaps it was already closed.

She tried to sense y/n's feelings, but they were hidden by a thought shield, a mental barrier.

This Force ability was one of the earliest tricks the younglings had learnt at the Temple. Ahsoka had no problem using it, but that still didn't stop her from wondering how y/n could always maintain that mental barrier. Sometimes it was inconvenient when Ahsoka needed to know what he was thinking, only to be rejected through the Force.

In response, he gave her a devilish grin and flicked water into her face.

"Come on. I'm serious," she rolled her eyes, brandishing his lightsaber hilt in his face. He promptly snatched it back, before holding out his hand.

y/n's fist slowly unclenched like a flower blooming. In his palm lay a large, translucent and colourless kyber crystal.