Before-12

edit: y/n doesn't use force hibernation on ahsoka anymore. i decided that was way too advanced. semi major changes, but doesn't affect the story, really.

He was engulfed in water. y/n's heavy coat dragged him down, and he fought to swim back up, but his hands had no space to move. He thrashed and his limbs met hard rock, scratching the few exposed areas of his skin.

Determinedly, y/n kicked furiously with his feet. When that didn't work, he used the Force to propel himself up.

A huge splash erupted from the water-filled hole like an exploding volcano. y/n was flung onto solid ground with a breathless grunt.

y/n rubbed his head in annoyance. He had hit something on his way up, and it felt like a huge drum was being struck inside his brain.

He looked around, scowling and dripping wet. A cold draught passed into the tunnel, making him shiver. Did it have to be so cold in here?

Then he heard it: the cracking of ice. But that couldn't be possible...he had just melted the ice with his lightsaber a minute ago. It couldn't be cold enough in here for the water to freeze over again in such a short period of time.

"AHSOKA!" He suddenly yelled, remembering his friend still down in that pit, possibly drowning or dying from the cold.

y/n rushed over to the hole, shaking his head to stop the water from his wet hair dripping into his eyes. He fell into a crouch and gazed fearfully down at the patch of ice.

A dark form appeared from underneath the frozen water. He could see small bubbles emerging from Ahsoka's mouth and popping when they touched the ice.

Ahsoka beat her fists against the now solid substance.

Her lungs fought for air. Her vision swam with black dots that kept spinning, around and around, as if taunting her. Her arms and legs were sore from kicking upwards whilst being continuously dragged down by her heavy, waterlogged coat. Her head thumped a loud staccato rhythm, pain filling her half-shut-down brain.

y/n didn't know if what he was going to do next was possible. Nevertheless, he had to try. He couldn't use his lightsaber; that brought up the chance of either stabbing Ahsoka or turning the ice into water at a million degrees and burning her.

A hand was extended and placed on top of the ice.

Closing his eyes, y/n focused on the Force and drew it into himself.

Please work please work please work please work please work he thought to himself desperately. He couldn't just let a youngling die here, especially if that youngling was his closest friend.

After regulating his breathing, he prepared his ability, all the while aware of how much time he was taking. Hurry up, y/n! You don't have all day!

Finally, he reached down with his mind to the ice. Ahsoka's struggling had already become less vicious. y/n could sense her body, wincing as he detected her panic.

He felt the chemical compounds of the ice, the atoms bonded together, vibrating back and forth. Reaching into their very structure, he sped up the molecules, feeling their kinetic energy increase. And with that, the cold slowly turned into heat.

y/n opened his eyes and let out the breath that he had been unconsciously holding.

The ice was slowly melting, a pool of water collecting at the top. But he had to keep his focus, to continue exploiting the atomic movement of the substance. It was going to engulf her again if y/n lost concentration. He had to work fast; she had been down there for a few minutes and surely needed oxygen.

It was going to take time – perhaps more than he had.

Sweating despite the cold water slowly freezing to ice on his body, y/n drew the Force closer and shut his eyes in concentration.

All the while, he could still sense the Togruta's struggling. Until, she gave one last spasming cough, and fell still.

No, Ahsoka wasn't dead yet. She had just lost consciousness.

He balanced the heat and the cold, feeling the temperature and melting speed of the ice. If he went too fast, the ice would steam and sizzle, potentially bringing the water to a temperature too high for Ahsoka's body to handle; if he went too slow, it would increase the chance that the Togruta would die before y/n could remove his friend from the hole.

It felt like an eternity before the ice thawed, revealing Ahsoka's frosted body slowly sinking under the water. y/n carefully lifted his friend out from the hole, panting from his exertion, and placed her body on the stony ground.

Still perched precariously on the edge, sweat and water dripping off his face, he called the Force to him again, this time channelling it to Ahsoka.

She gave a sudden jerk and coughed sharply, expelling a mouthful of water. Then another cough, and another.

He took a deep breath and relaxed. The danger was over now. Ahsoka was safe. He was safe.

"You're welcome. I just saved your life?" he grinned once she had recovered and sat up.

"As if. You just paid me back for the time I caught you before you fell off the Jedi Temple," she quipped back. "We're even, for now."

He gave her a grin, then returned to his thoughts.

The only thing he had to worry about now was locating his kyber crystal, successfully harvesting it and finding his way out of the Crystal Caves all before the entrance sealed completely, trapping those unfortunate younglings inside.

It felt impossible.

ahsoka gon' be saving y/n's butt a lot too lmao