Chapter 52

hope you like this. it's a bit iffy in some parts but let me know :)

The elaborate, geometric gardens spilled with blooming plants and lush greenery. But y/n saw none of that and didn't notice the floral fragrance that filled the air.

Tunnel vision. His boots echoed through the courtyard as he ran across the intricately paved cobbles. Behind him, the three 501st clones followed, albeit at a distance. It wasn't hard to see that he wanted to be left alone.

When they came to the major entrance to the palace, the firefight there had already ended. There was smoke rising in columns into the air, droids scattered everywhere, dozens of clones lying lifeless. The Republican soldiers ran about in organised chaos after the battle, transporting the injured, setting up defences, beginning the assault into the palace itself. Jesse, Fives and Kix had already blended in with the crowd, assisting their brothers.

"Where have you been?"

y/n turned, slowly, his head dipped. "Sorry, Commander."

Bly took off his helmet and gave his head a shake, as if to cool off and dissipate the perspiration.

"We could have used you in that firefight. Good thing Commander Tano and General Skywalker were here. Would've lost for sure without them."

He narrowed his eyes, concerned for y/n's unresponsiveness.

"Captain l/n?"

"Yes, Commander?"

"Where's Rocco?"

y/n finally lifted his head and stared into Bly's eyes. Neither of them said anything for a few moments. They just both stood there whilst soldiers moved around them.

The clone knew. Of course he did; it wasn't hard to read from y/n's expression. But he finally found confirmation.

Slowly, Bly reached out towards the Jedi's collar, and gently pulled the fabric back slightly.

"He was a good man," the commander said after a few moments. Then, he let go of the cloth so that it partially covered Rocco's freshly tattooed name again.

"General Skywalker is having a briefing over there. Yellow team and orange team haven't broken through the droid defences yet. We're set to engage soon."

y/n gave a curt nod, still avoiding Bly's eyes whilst he stood upright at attention.

"Sir, yes sir!"

The clone looked at him consolingly and placed a hand on his uninjured shoulder. "It's okay. We'll make it through this. We always do. Stay strong, Brother."

In reply, the Jedi gave a salute, which Bly returned before leaving.

y/n stood, surrounded by a throng of moving clones, like he was in the eye of the storm. He closed his eyes tightly, letting the Force fill his body and shut his mind from the loss of Rocco.

He had a job to do. The chancellor, his friend, was in danger. Plo Koon and his men were inside the palace, needing reinforcements. His own men needed him to lead.

Rubbing off the small, fresh droplets of blood that trickled out from the new cuts of the tattoo, y/n readjusted his collar. He winced, feeling the numbing pain of the blaster burn on his shoulder now that the adrenaline had faded.

Opening his eyes, he purposefully strode through the moving throng of clones in the direction of Anakin that Bly had indicated. As he passed by a small line of white medical tents, the smell of bacta filled the air.