Chapter 32

This chapter is also a lot of words. Yay! But tiring to write-

y/n wished that rock was more colourful and not an endless grey. With the dark night sky looming above, only the stars provided illumination, making it almost impossible to see where he was going, almost as if they were back in the Spike's sewer system.

At least up here the air was clear and crisp, though much colder than he would have preferred.

Still, the worn, dusty patches of his trousers, especially the knees, were enough to show that he had fallen or stumbled multiple times. The palms of his hands, too, were scraped and embedded with tiny pebbles.

For now, they seemed safe. After the disastrous escape from the Separatist prison and retreat into the mountains, the droid attacks had ceased. Either the Jedi were no longer a priority, or a squadron was already onto them. y/n hoped that the former was the case, but if not, then luck could be on their side and the machines would have a harder time traversing the rocky terrain than themselves.

Perhaps even the mountains had already been rigged with multiple traps or patrol stations that they would inevitably come across.

For the hour or two that they had been hiking, at least, nothing dangerous had been encountered yet.

Ahsoka had always said that y/n had bad eyesight in the dark, and that was definitely true. He almost fell into a ditch for the fifth time but she pulled him out of the way in the last second.

He remembered vividly a similar scene, two years ago on Ilum when he had discovered their lightsaber crystals by slipping. Sighing, he gazed down at the ruined hilt of his lightsaber, glinting weakly in the dim natural light.

y/n almost walked straight into Master Uten but stopped himself from colliding with the man. A few minutes after their escape the older Jedi had resumed consciousness and was strong enough to walk, greatly speeding up their journey.

Passing straited rock face after striated rock face, y/n sighed and turned his gaze to Ahsoka, who was leading the way through the treacherous pass. Starlight spilt slightly onto her lekku, illuminating and bathing her features in a gentle glow.

Unconsciously he found himself smiling.

"I hope they get here soon," she breathed, referring to Anakin and Aayla, who she had briefed of their situation via her commlink. It had taken some time, because a five-klick radius around the facility had communication scrambling technology.

The Togruta gave a shiver as a cold wind whipped past and stopped. "We should rest here a while," she suggested with a glance at Master Uten's thin frame. "I've left my commlink channel open so they'll be able to track our location and pick us up."

They settled themselves down under a rocky ledge that offered some protection against the biting elements.

y/n absent-mindedly unclipped his lightsaber from his belt and examined it. A pang of helplessness and dismay filled him as he ran his fingers over the partially melted metal and gaping slice made by the laser beam. About a third of the way up everything was a burnt, scorched mess, but even worse was the perfectly clean slice.

During his escape he hadn't paid attention to the other part of his lightsaber; in fact he hadn't even realised that it had been cut in half. Picking it up he had just sprinted for his life, conscious of the fact that his weapon was broken but not aware of how severe the damage was.

There was no way it was still reparable; in fact, the most important part of the lightsaber was gone.

The half that had been cut off by the laser beam contained the kyber crystals, and all except one of his original red crystals were now left back at the Spike's perimeter, possibly already found and retrieved by the droids. Wherever they were, it would be too dangerous to get them back and was not worth it.