Before-27

The Clone Wars have begun. Intergalactic conflict between the Confederacy of Independent Systems, more commonly known as 'Seperatists', led by Count Dooku and supported by almost all of the Financial Clans, versus the Galactic Republic, aided by the Jedi Council, rages across the universe.

Count Dooku has turned to the Dark Side. The Sith Lord barely escaped with his life from Geonosis, after an encounter with his old Master, Yoda.

The Republic had been using a clone factory sponsored by the Kaminoans on their planet, to produce soldiers to aid in the growing conflict. Meanwhile, Count Dooku's droid army was growing larger and larger.

Times were tough for the Raxshir Clan. Not only was it because of the burden the Jedi now carried as defenders of the Republic, but because graduation was near.

One by one, the younglings were called up to the assembled Jedi Council. It was without warning and at random times; Momo was even awakened at midnight to go to see the Masters.

Over the period of two days, every one of the Raxshir Clan had spoken to the Council, except two; Ahsoka and y/n. They stumbled around the huge corridors of the Temple, lonely, confused and nostalgic.

Ahsoka took refuge in practising her Force abilities and meditating to keep her emotions under control. Combat and lightsaber training were y/n's solace.

They didn't speak much. Words couldn't convey the feelings they felt; sadness, excitement, nervousness, nostalgia, joy, pride...to finally rise to the next Jedi rank.

From the day they were called up to the Council, spoken to, decided about, and then having exited the door, they would be Raxshir Clan younglings no more.

They would be Padawans.

An apprentice to a great Jedi Knight or perhaps even a Jedi Master.

"Well, I sure am looking forward to eating something other than unflavoured goo every day," Ahsoka joked, trying to lighten the mood one day at the mess hall. Despite her cheery tone, y/n knew that she probably was going to miss the food, however unlikely that was going to be. 

It could be months of adventures, danger and terror they might experience during their expeditions with their new Master before they could return to Coruscant and the Jedi Temple.

In fact, it could be years before Ahsoka and y/n saw each other again.

They had decided to spend their last day together.

Ahsoka had had her visit to the Council scheduled straight after the lunch break, and y/n was to go right after her.

He sighed, stabbing his food with a fork. He wasn't hungry. But then again, no one usually was hungry when there was only a diet of Jedi food. Ahsoka looked at him in understanding and put a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

"Don't worry. It is the will of the Force. Nothing happens by accident," she soothed.

"Yeah, I know," y/n said. "I don't know what to do. Will my Master tolerate me? Am I too brash? Who will my Master even be? What if I die in the Clone Wars? How do I simply...adjust...to a scenario, away from all the people that I've known my whole life?"

"That, young l/n, you will have to figure out on your own," Master Mace Windu suddenly appeared behind them and interjected. The two friends jumped in alarm and turned, their hands resting on their lightsabers in precaution.

"Ahsoka Tano, the Council will see you now," the Jedi Master stated bluntly.

"But the break isn't over yet!" y/n protested. He had wanted to say goodbye to his best friend, and the idea of having her taken away before they could bid farewell scared him. "...Master Windu," he added, cringing and prepared to be scolded.

Ahsoka stayed silent and unwavering, but y/n could sense that she was worried as well.

Master Windu turned to him, his stare unwavering.

"The Council wishes this," he said again, more firmly this time. "Ahsoka, you must be upstairs soon. I will give you and y/n five minutes maximum."

Without another word, the bald man turned and exited the mess hall.

The young Togruta sighed.

"Sorry, n/n,"

"It was going to happen anyways. No use delaying it. Everyone grows up," he replied.

"That's very deep," Ahsoka said, raising an eyebrow. "When did profound y/n take over crazy y/n's body?"

"You're not funny, Stripey." She rolled her eyes, a scene that y/n had witnessed hundreds of thousands of millions of times. There was an awkward pause where none of them knew what to say.

Ahsoka smiled. "Thanks n/n."

"For what?" y/n asked, slightly confused.

"For everything. Being my best friend, making me feel happy when I'm down, supporting me, caring, helping me through it all. I couldn't have done it without you," Ahsoka said, and embraced her friend in a tight bearhug.

y/n would've grinned and said something self-centered and witty. To his surprise, what came out of his mouth was, "Me too. I'm going to miss you Ahsoka. We've been through too much to be separated,"

He felt hot tears well in his eyes, threatening to stream out then and there.

"Aww, are you gonna cry?" she teased, breaking their hug.

He sniffed and fought them.

"Nah, I would not, could not embarrass myself in front of you, Stripey. There was no way I was letting you mock me about this the next time we meet," he grinned. This time being his old self was easier.

y/n cleared his throat. "You uh, you need to go now. I'm...right behind you, I suppose," he tried his best to form a smile.

Ahsoka stood and nodded, her mouth curled in thesame pained grin as his.

"We are Jedi. No attachments are allowed. We are best friends, but nothing ties us together other than the Force," she said.

He nodded solemnly.