Before-15

edit: slight changes in the kyber crystal scene, edited out yoda needlessly listing every youngling's quality, other small changes i reckon.

"I just don't get it though! Master Yoda and Master Vos said that only we would know if it's our crystal, but how come we're sensing the same one?" y/n complained loudly and ran a wet hand through his already wet hair.

"Let's meditate," Ahsoka suggested calmly from where she sat cross-legged on the floor.

"We don't have time for that!" y/n yelled.

"Sorry," he mumbled apologetically. "Just...frustrated. I didn't mean to raise my voice."

Ahsoka said nothing, her eyes still closed peacefully as she meditated. She was as still as the statues that guarded the entrance of the Jedi Temple.

Sighing, y/n joined his friend and dropped down next to her. He might as well just relax and calm down, though the prospect of the ice entrance freezing over still loomed in his mind.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, absorbing the stillness and blissful comfort of the Force around him.

y/n had never been a fan of meditation. Instead, he preferred the fighting arts: lightsaber training, unarmed combat, mixed martial arts, obstacle courses, acrobatics. From childhood, his guardians had deemed him a warrior of blood, not peace. 

Because of this, the Masters at the Temple were concerned about his future being entwined with the Dark Side, already a possibility given the colour of his lightsaber. "The Jedi are keepers of peace, not warriors." they always said.

Ahsoka, on the other hand, was rather well-balanced in her training. She was skilled in lightsaber combat and fighting, knowledgeable about academic pursuits, and relaxed in meditation and Force-handling.

y/n let his breathing slow down and settled his thoughts. Who would take the crystal? Is there still time for us to get out? Will we be expelled? Can we even find the way out? He groaned again, though internally.

"y/n." Ahsoka spoke quietly, sensing his distress. She then communicated to him through the Force, giving him no choice but to concentrate to hear her.

Focus. Can you feel something? Tugging at your senses?

Hesitantly, he relaxed again. Yes. Yes, he could feel it. A subconscious pull. y/n's senses itched to use the Force for some reason, though he didn't know what he should do and why he should do it.

Yeah. I feel it. What is it? It's really annoying.

He sensed Ahsoka's lips twitching into a smile. She seemed to already know what was going to happen. Fighting his annoyance of not understanding, he fought to concentrate harder.

Do what you feel you should do. Listen to the Force.

Obeying her words, the two younglings then acted on instinct. Power and potential flooded out from their bodies simultaneously, directed at the kyber crystal lying on the floor.

y/n found himself no longer wondering about their problems. Instead, he felt free as a cinderhawk, listening to his continuous mentor, the Force. Unconsciously, both Ahsoka and y/n's hands outstretched at the same time, focusing their power onto the small, uncoloured mineral.

And then it stopped. Ahsoka opened her eyes and realised that she was breathing hard. y/n looked at her quizzically and together, they turned to face the kyber.

Both their eyes moved towards the crystal.

They gasped.

It lay in pieces.

Well, two to be exact.

Each fragment was perfectly shaped and somehow symmetrical. The piece closest to y/n was icy blue like the frozen pit over which they had risked their lives. Ahsoka's piece was emerald green, the same shade as the blade she always used in training. The fragments glinted in the soft light, inviting them to pick it up.

They did.

They ran like the wind, like their lives depended on it, which was possible. y/n was hot on Ahsoka's heels as she led the way back to the entrance.

There was the chiselled entrance to which the avalanche brought them, there was the icy mess and remains of the snowslide, there was the crumbled cliff face – which they hastily climbed – there was the winding tunnel through which the younglings had travelled...

And then the entrance came into view.

"There!" Emee hissed, pointing a clawed hand at the ice entrance.

The faces all turned towards the frozen waterfall. Ten pairs of youngling eyes, and two pairs belonging to Jedi.

Emee had heard the ignition of a lightsaber behind the wall through her sharp reptile ears. Immediately, she knew it to be y/n.

Just as she predicted, the blade of a lightsaber appeared, slicing through the thick ice wall and penetrated through to the other side. A large circular patch of the waterfall melted, the resulting water sizzling as it trickled down the steps and was taken away by the carved gutters in the ground.

The twelve pairs of eyes gazed expectantly at the newly formed hole.

Two figures, not one, were visible through the steam.

"Hello there," Ahsoka said, crossing her arms.

"Appreciated you waiting for us," y/n grinned.

"Lessons, you all have learnt. More experienced and enlightened, you all are," Master Yoda said, looking at the younglings. Master Vos stood nearby, his arms crossed and a smile plastered on his face.

Ahsoka and y/n glanced at each other and grinned, flashes of their adventure still rippling through their minds. They doubted that anyone else in the Raxshir Clan had experienced something as ecstatic and dangerous as they.

Master Yoda began addressing each youngling personally, stating the new qualities that they had learnt to value. Determination, gratitude, empathy, courage...

The wrinkled green creature turned lastly to Ahsoka and y/n.

"Cooperation, teamwork, you both have learnt. Congratulate you on your bonding, y/n and Ahsoka, I do."

The two best friends grinned proudly and celebrated with their fellow Clanmates.

"Right! Good work and all that, but let's get off of this frozen rock, shall we?" Master Vos boomed.

A few minutes later, the Paladin-class corvette was streaming upwards toward Ilum's brilliant grey blue atmosphere.

Too long of a chapter?