Chapter 53

sorry for the slight delay in posting, i was on holiday! anyways once again i'd like to thank you all for reading and commenting and voting and supporting me through this journey. additionally, my apologies: this chappie and the following one did not turn out as great as i imagined it in my head but for now this is what i'm putting out. hope you enjoy.

oh yeah, i'm adding music to some chappies too. there's a cool background beat in the later half of this part. others might have lyrics (which i know might be disturbing whilst you're reading but oh well)

As soon as the wide-eyed chancellor was set on the floor, she turned towards y/n.

But he was already collapsing.

Ahsoka just managed to catch him before he hit the ground.

"y/n-"

He teetered in her arms, eyes glazed.

"Holy kriff," she mumbled. "You're heavy. y/n, can you hear me?"

He gave an incoherent murmur. Lying him gently on the ground, she took care not to injure him further.

Ahsoka's sole attention was fixated on him. Grievous and Palpatine were another world away.

"Is y/n okay?" the chancellor asked meekly, looking over at them.

"What's wrong with him?" Bly panted, running over. He was quickly followed by the rest of the ARC troopers, and Anakin, who had managed to destroy the droids.

"He's been shot. Again," Ahsoka replied, gripping his hand in hers. Then she pretended she was only checking his pulse, and quickly let go.

Bly knelt beside her, examining y/n's body for injuries. Gently, he flipped him over onto his stomach, and gave an inhale.

"Oh, you bantha," he muttered. Shaking his head, the clone stared at the blasters wound in y/n's shoulder blade and lower back, knowing that there was a charred blaster mark in the exact same places on his own armour. "I don't know what he was thinking. I felt the impact of those shots, but I didn't feel the pain." Bly looked down at his friend. "He must have pushed me out of the way just in time before the blaster bolts went through my armour. I don't know why he took the shots, though. He could have evaded them easily."

As Bly finished speaking, y/n's eyes started to flicker open. It took him a few seconds to comprehend his surroundings, looking around at the clones and two Jedi gathered around him. And then his gaze focused on Palpatine.

Before any of them knew what was happening, y/n had shakily jumped to his feet and was running towards the broken window.

But Grievous had already disappeared.

He dangled his legs off the edge of the balustrade, a drop of five stories into the palace gardens beneath him.

The bacta patches and the bandages that now wrapped around his body felt unnecessarily tight and constricting.

y/n felt a pang of boredom and loneliness, missing the feeling of Ahsoka beside him, and the peace of conversing with her. They had sat overlooking the beautiful cityscapes and enjoying the fragrance that wafted up from the gardens below, bodies close together but maintaining a small distance. Hands resting on the balustrade, their fingers had been just close enough to meet.

She was gone for now, though.

Orange and yellow team had finally made it through the Separatist defences. Most of the clones were with Obi-Wan, stationed around the palace grounds on patrol. Plo Koon was recuperating from the explosion after sacrificing himself to cover a dozen of his men. Anakin and y/n were in the massive entrance hall of the palace with Palpatine, though y/n was outside on one of the extensive balconies.