Chapter 42

Sorry! This chappie is really short but I wanted to get something out as fast as possible. Currently got covid, so business slower than usual, but I'll try publishing a longer, fuller story next time. Thanks for your patience guys!

and a little thing...it's kinda poorly written and forced but gets the point across i suppose :)

y/n found himself stalking through the cold steel passages of a Providence-class dreadnought, completely alone except for the droid by his side.

This rescue mission was anticipated by the Separatists, therefore stealth was key. One Jedi and one astromech was quiet, concealable and efficient, compared to even a small squad of ARC troopers. To add to that, the rest of the Republican forces were focused elsewhere. Immediately after the attack on the palace, Anakin and Aayla had launched their own 'counterattack', bringing the mass of the fighting to the other side of the planet, and into the air with starfighters.

y/n had managed to slip in undetected through the garbage compactor, and the droid had narrowly avoided being turned to scrap metal.

"Alright then, Artoo," he glanced at the blue and silver companion beside him, "Let's see if you deserve all the praise Master Skywalker and Stripey heap onto you," he grinned.

R2D2 buzzed in annoyance and drove into y/n's leg, who laughed and apologised. It was his first time working with the droid. Usually he would operate with QT-KT, Aayla's astromech, but for this mission, Anakin had reluctantly agreed to let R2 go with y/n.

Making his way to the end of the passage, he checked both ways at the junction before nodding down at R2.

"Alright Bluey, do your magic."

The droid clicked and buzzed brightly, its head spinning rapidly.

"You like that, huh? Okay then little fella," y/n chuckled as the droid inserted its scomp link into the computer socket beside a heavy steel sliding door. It immediately glided open, and at the same time y/n ignited his lightsaber.

The room before them was dark and dimly lit, the only light being the blue electronic glow of a containment field. Inside, a dark silhouette was suspended. A control box stood directly behind it, operated by a lone battle droid.

"Hey! You're not meant to be here! Surrender, Jedi scum, before I-"

Amused, he simply used the Force to crush the machine, which crumpled to the floor like a ragdoll. Stepping into the room, he walked towards the control box to deactivate the containment field, whilst R2 stayed outside to keep watch and ensure the doors stayed open.

"I see they've employed a handsome Jedi," the figure grinned, stepping down onto the ground and rubbing her wrists. Coming into the light, y/n came face to face with a Human female of around his age. Ruffled brown hair fell over her fair skin, whilst a pair of startling blue eyes regarded him intensely. A golden headpiece held back her hair, sparkling warmly in the dimness.

"Your ladyship, Trios," he extinguished his lightsaber, clipped it back onto his belt, and bowed. With a smirk, he said, "I can assure you, they only send the best of the best Jedi to rescue the most beautiful princesses."

The edge of her mouth tugged upwards, and there was a sort of sparkle in her eyes that somehow still shone despite the years of war.

"Oh please, just Trios is fine. Otherwise, you sound like some sort of suitor."

y/n smirked. "Alright then, your ladyship," he said slowly, enunciating the last two words, "but what could possibly give you the idea that I'm not a suitor?"

A grin spread over her face and she brushed past him, heading towards the door. "Well, suitor boy, you're missing a bouquet of flowers for one."

Shaking his head, y/n reprimanded himself light heartedly for the flirtation and walked out after her. Trios was attractive, yes, her face holding the elegance and majesty of a dignified royal, but there was also mischief and humour in the way she spoke. Still though, he felt nothing but curiosity and interest towards her character.

"Hold on," she doubled back, strode to the droid and picked up its discarded blaster. "I always wanted one of these. And, you know," she turned momentarily to face him, "if you were one of these, you'd be set to stun."

In other instances, y/n would have been disgusted, or at least wary, but the innocence and straightforwardness with which the princess talked, made him completely comfortable.

"Thank you, your ladyship," he bowed again. "Now, allow the humble Jedi to escort you out."

Time blurred, and soon they had begun making their way through to the other side of the large ship. Ahsoka's cell had been located somewhere by R2 hacking into the system.

Progress was slow though and constantly they had to stop to hide as a patrol of droids marched past. Somehow, though, despite all the stealth, the two still managed to engage in conversation. And somehow, the two found themselves enjoying the company.

"Screeching Sonic is way too metallic."

"No, what do you mean? Their music is awesome!"

"Sure, if you're drunk or hungover in a cantina-"

"Since when did princesses get drunk or hungover?"

"Since when did idiots listen to Screeching Sonic?"

Their suppressed chuckles and laughter vibrated through the passages. At that moment, his interest and contentment in simply chatting and joking with her made y/n less vigilant than he should have been.

His mind was running in two directions. One part stayed on the mission. The other trailed off and started forming a plan. Sick though he knew it, he felt that Trios' friendship could help him with another one of his problems: his tangled knot of feelings for Ahsoka.