CHAPTER 28: A Failed Escape

A/N: Hello people~
I would like to inform you all that we are officially more than halfway through the book!
\(^o^)/ (most likely)
And I would like to thank all of you who have been giving love and support to my work till now!
Anyway, enjoy reading ~

"Say something, dobe..."

Sasuke averted his gaze from the blond in front of him after being given a silent treatment upon his confession. Call it anticipation or anxiousness, but the raven's hands were sweating. His heartbeat was the only sound ringing in his ears.

To anyone else, Sasuke's voice would have sounded as normal as ever, but Naruto could hear the lingering sadness behind it, along with the very tiny spark of hope that Sasuke had tried his hardest to conceal.

Sasuke was very well aware of Naruto's answer; however, Naruto's silence was enough to tell him that at the very least, he was not being outright rejected, which meant that maybe he had a chance, maybe Naruto would accept him... right?

'Why is he not saying anything...? Giving me false hopes...'

Despite knowing Naruto's decision, Sasuke just wanted the blond to confirm it for him because he didn't want to let go of that hope any time sooner than required. Just this once, he needed to listen to it from Naruto's mouth.

'I'm not asking too much of him, am I?'

Sasuke's face didn't show even an ounce of what he was feeling, yet the tone of his voice when he confessed, and even right now, was enough to tell the whiskered man things that he wished he never had to face.

While Sasuke was met with a deafening silence, Naruto's mind was clouded with silent screams from the demon deep inside his heart.

~●~●~●~
NARUTO'S POV~

'What are you waiting for?'

Sai's voice rang once again in my head, that very soft yet intimidating voice.

I... I want...

I was afraid to even think about wanting to embrace those forbidden feelings that I had tried to hide in the deepest corner of my heart. Sasuke's confession had triggered them, and now they were swimming up to the surface.

I want to...

'Don't tell me, you actually want to accept him?'

I was suddenly interrupted by Sai. I knew that telling the truth would get me into a lot more trouble than I'd like, but avoiding the situation at this point would have been the worst thing I could have ever done to Sasuke.

Y- Yes...

As soon as I answered Sai's question, I began hearing laughter. It was Sai who was laughing at me because of my answer. He was mocking me.

'Oh my God, Naruto! You're so funny. I can't even... hahaha.'

His laugh was starting to annoy me. I wanted to, for the first time, not think of anything, not even Sai. I just wished to let my feelings out in the open for Sasuke to see how much I've been wanting to love him all this time. But things were never so easy for me to begin with.

'Come on, Naru-chan~. Who are you kidding? You want Sasuke? Great, but you should remember why I exist only for you in the first place. Sasuke wouldn't like to partner up with a murderer, right?'

What Sai was saying was true, but only for me. If it were true for Sasuke as well, then he wouldn't be here right now, confessing to me... right?

No... he's here even after knowing the whole truth, dattebayo, so he doesn't care about that.