Fists

Matt's POV

It was pathetic how things came to this. I gave Baylen every chance to quit. Now we had to do this the hard way.

Baylen's text made me out to be the winner of the game, under false assumptions I slept with Aurora and texts from the team, was the last straw. I arrived early on Monday and waited in the parking lot. I clenched and unclenched the steering wheel.

Baylen's truck throbbing with music pushed me over the edge. I narrowed my eyes and clenched teeth when he stepped on to the pavement.

"There he is" His visual scan made me clench my fists. "Years of celibacy freshly gone isn't a good look on you, dude" he smiled, going for a high five. I clenched my jaw so much my neck strained. "Finally ended your dry spell"

My body reacted with a flinch. Tiny spots flashed over his smug face. I drew back my left fist. I clenched my stomach, grunted and punched the middle of his stupid face.

His head snapped back, and his chin lifted. His knees wobbled, and he fell to the ground like I punched the life out of his body.

I hadn't been in a fight since middle school, maybe for a reason. "Tell me" I warned, standing over his slumped body. "That it's over"

"Dude?" He looked up at me. A small trickle of blood threatened to spill out of his nostril. "I'm sorry, dude" the shock in his eyes was replaced with fear as I clenched my fist.

I would've hurt him more if I used my right hand, but I wasn't stupid enough to do that. I didn't want Baylen hurt, but my words weren't enough. "The right answer" I leaned over and gripped his shirt. "Is yes"

"Yes"

I ignored the footsteps behind me and gripped his shirt harder. "Stop being an idiot. You could get us suspended or in jail for the nude pictures of girls. Good luck explaining that to recruiters"

"Dude, I didn't think-"

"Exactly" I cut him off. "That's your problem Baylen. You don't think. If you think about Aurora-"

"Enough!" Hands wrapped around my chest and tried to pull me back. "Chill out. Message sent"

"Hands off" I growled at whoever grabbed me.

"Dude, he said yes. Drop this" I turned and saw Nate's furrowed eyebrows and concern in his eyes. "The game is Friday. You get suspended, we're fucked. He got the message, chill out"

Baylen stood up and slid up against his truck. I let him go, shoved Nate's hands away and walked away. I needed a lot of deep breaths to calm the rage inside me.

"Enjoy your sorry ass on the bench today" I spat over my shoulder to Baylen. "Maybe use the time to start thinking"

~

I'd rather punch Baylen again than go through this.

Nicole was first on my apology list. She was the easier to find. I wanted to pull her aside at lunch but she had other ideas. "What's she doing here?" I looked over at our sixth lunch table seat, where Olive sat.

Nicole smirked at me. "Well..." She started, twirling her hair around her finger. "After your pep rally stunt, I thought you'd like to see her, so I invited her"

"Of course you did" I rolled my eyes at her stunt to get me back after I turned her down.

Olive probably spent a lot of time getting ready for this and beamed at the idea of breathing the same air as me. By Nicole's smirk, she knew Olive had no idea she was being played.

"Don't be rude to Olive, Matthew" Nicole batted her lashes. "Rumour is, she's your girlfriend"

Nate snapped his head up from his lunch and searched my eyes, before looking at Ava. She shrugged, so Ava didn't know about Aurora, and either did Nicole. Good. I wanted her out of our lunchtime conversations.

The Hockey Player (Matt Sturniolo) On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara