Hit Me

Matt's POV

My other three apologies, using the same language that Madison accepted and Nicole ignored, were less dramatic. I couldn't have asked for better reactions.

Alexis changed her name to Alex to distance herself from her low score. She threw most of the heat back at me. Her eyes were wild, with emotions, her chest heaved with raspy breaths. After my third 'I'm sorry' , her mouth closed. She scanned me, and nodded.

Janelle filled her water bottle at the fountain and threw it in my face. I wiped the water from my eyes, and apologised again. She mumbled back that she didn't expect it, and walked away.

Christina was the hardest to talk to. Her friends stood around her like security. When I apologised to them, Christina stood there, crying. Then, one of her friends punched me in the gut.

"Guess I deserved that" I mumbled, as they walked away, looking back to glare at me. I tried.

By Wednesday, the apology tour was wiped out by game excitement. I used the same leverage and benched Baylen and everyone who said the word 'game', not referring to our hockey game. I told then coach a personal conduct issue came to my attention and required me to handle it myself.

"Bold move" Nate teased and tipped his sweat soaked head to the guys on the bench. I groaned and shook my head. I didn't want to be a 'my way or no way' , but they forced my hand.

I scrubbed my damp hair with a towel and grabbed my phone. "Thanks for the reminder"

Matt: no more games, guys. Focus on the season. Scholarship.

The team, coaches and staff knew the weight of this game. Recruiters from colleges were coming.

I didn't tell anyone, including Mom, about my early applications for Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Cornell. The offices were surprised, but the sports departments were interested.

"There's my girl" I snapped out of my thoughts when Nate wrapped his arms around Ava and pulled her in for a kiss.

Dressed in a black tracksuit, she pulled away. "How are you sweaty if you showered?"

"There's no off switch" I wiped my hand over my forehead.

My laugh went dry when Nate kissed her again.

That's my cue to leave. I passed their PDA and groaned. "Goodnight"

"Matt, wait!" Ava pulled on my arm. "Your homecoming date? Who-"

"I already asked someone"

"You did?" She squealed loud enough to shatter glass. Her gasp told me Nate kept Aurora a secret for now. "How did you ask? Was she shocked? What sweet gesture did you use?"

"What?" I shook my head at the effort Nate went through, a public display in the cafeteria for his girlfriend. He got the marching band to play her favourite song and had a sign for her.

"So, how did you ask?" Ava stomped her foot. "Where were you?"

I scratched the back of my neck and shifted on my feet. "We were at the beach, and-"

"I need details! Day, sunset? Was she excited? Did she cry? Who is this mysterious girl?"

A sunset and crying were involved, and I asked Aurora. Did I ask her? "I said I wanted to take her"

She swatted my chest. Her screech pierced my ear and made me wince. Nate stood still, scrolling through his phone. "Matt! Do you like her?"

I wasn't sure where this was heading, but it was a trap. "Uh...yeah?"