Cockroach

Aurora's POV

What the fuck was he doing here?

"There's the jelly to my peanut butter" he smirked and patted the table. "Hi, sweetheart"

I gasped. As if Matt Sturniolo, the guy my brother warned me to stay away from and who went to school an hour away from here, wasn't standing in front of me. Why was he in front of me?

"Aurora, wash your hands and jump right in" Carol tied an apron around me, and pointed to the kitchen sink.

I walked in slow motion to the sink. How was he here? In a blink, I stood beside Matt with my hair up in a hair net.

Did he plan this? Why wasn't he at practice?"

Thank God Dan isn't picking me up.

If he found out we were together....not together together, but this wasn't good. I couldn't even bail on the event. What do I do?

"I appreciate you all making meals today so I can catch up on my book work" Carol's voice broke through my thoughts.

She nodded at the empty table space. "Sandwiches are self explanatory, just wrap them in foil when you're done"

Then, she left me. I took a deep breath, but my heart was pounding in my chest.

Dan will kill me.
No he won't. He doesn't know where I am.
Play it cool. It's a charity.
His eyes look bluer today.
No, Aurora.

I reached into the box of plastic gloves and grabbed a pair.

Stop it, Aurora. Make sandwiches. You have an escape vehicle.
Just don't look at him.

"You gonna take all day with that?" Matt asked, clicking his tongue.

"You're a cockroach I can't squish"

"About time you pull your weight" He said, spreading peanut butter on some bread. "I thought you weren't going to show up"

"My weight isn't even half yours"

"Aurora, weight shaming isn't nice. We both know mines all muscle" he picked up another slice of bread, and flexed in my line of vision.

Show off. Him and his body.
Stop it, Aurora.

"Muscles, sure" I said, looking between his eyes. "Becausr we both know there's not much in your brain"

Behind him, Maria laughed and covered it up with a cough. Caleb smirked at me over her head.

"Shows how little you know me" Matt said, with a smile in his voice.

Sandwiches, Aurora. Two hours. I opened two jars of jelly from the row of purple and red jars and put a knife in each. I spread some grape jelly on a bread slice with a perfect consistency-

"Keep up, slow poke" Matt elbowed me, making me stab my knife through the bread. "Or we won't feed anyone till next week"

He set a tray of two dozen sandwiches, half made with peanut butter, between us. I groaned and put my single jelly slice on one. "And you can't give someone that"

Before I realised, he grabbed my sandwich and ate it. "You can't do that!"

"Quality control" he swallowed. "Eddie's ready for a nap, and he's faster than you, Aurora"

He was right. Eddie had his eyes half closed. I channelled my frustration into rushed movements at the expense of some slapped sandwiches. "What are you doing here?"

"Making sandwiches" his voice was soft as he spread the peanut butter. "Try not to be so distracted by me, sweetheart"

"Seriously?"