Spirit

Matt's POV

Most parts of hockey provided us with special treatment. Popularity, admiration, jealously from students, favouritism, and pride that brought the community together on a Friday night.

And then there was pep rallies

I hated them. Everyone hated them.

Except the cheer team, the dance squad and staff.

Please let this be over soon. I rolled my eyes as Ava pulled me through the school gym, along a line of cheerleader escorts. "You're captain, you get first pick"

"Fine" I said in a dry voice. "You escort Nate"

"Duh!" She pulled me again. "I meant yours"

"Then you escort me" I teased her.

She gasped and shook her head quickly, making her hair whip the side of her face. "I think you should walk with Nicole or Raine" She looked at me and studied my expression

That's a no from me. I spent the last four days avoiding Raine's laughs more than tackles in practice. Before school, after, between classes, lunch, even at practice.

"They're both perfect for your height. Raine has a crush on you and she'd be good for you"

Height? A certain girl who was the height of my armpit and hated me was a better option. I bet she sat through the same experiences, for her brother.

I hated that guy. I needed to get in touch with Aurora, who blocked Nate's number. I tried it once to avoid any explanations to the girl who glared at me. After tomorrow, I'd rather be in Aurora's good books or six foot under.

"Matt?" Ava nudged me again. "I have more guys to pair up here"

I blinked at Raine. How could Ava think the girl who stared at me so much, was good for me?

"Ava" I groaned. "Is there anyone on the team who maybe hates me?"

"I'd love to hate you" a girl behind Ava said.

The smile I gave her quickly faded when she let out a loud cackle. Ava scanned her clipboard. "Ava, this is ridiculous" I mumbled and took the clipboard. "I'll go out alone"

She widened her eyes and took a deep breath. "You can't do that!" She barked, snapping back the clipboard.

"Watch me"

"But then we're off balance with the number of girls" she whined and pulled on my arm.

I shook her off me and looked over the sets of eyes that stared at me, and recognised the one who decorated my locker. "Olive, right?" I asked and she nodded, with wide eyes. "Do you feel like being the topic of school gossip for the next week?"

"Uh...okay"

"Perfect" I grabbed her arm and ignored Ava's glare. "Let's get this shit started"

Olive's arm shook in my grip, so I dropped it. "Tonight's game should be enough" I said over my shoulder to Nate. The school was ready. Kids lined up to watch our practices.

After the parade, the team and coaching staff were introduced to the student body. Olive smiled during the whole thing and held on to my arm. "Thanks for coming" I cleared my throat. "I promise everyone here, that we will do everything in our power to bring that championship home!"

I meant what I said. When I turned, I caught our assistant principal clapping.

"Maybe I'll wear a sign" I said to Nate as we walked away from the curious eyes and removed our jerseys. He had nothing to worry about.

"Yeah?" He ran his hand through his hair and smiled. "What would it say? Taken by Aurora?"

"No. And shut up" I scowled. "I'm not interested in her like that"

"You seem pretty invested for someone that isn't interested"

I scanned the room for anyone listening, but my eyes stopped when I spotted Michael flirting with Nicole. "It's for Dan" I reminded Nate. He was the only one who knew my plan. "And, human decency"

"Matt?" Ava's eyes met mine, before she leaned up to kiss Nate's cheek. "Who's this girl you're hiding? I want to meet her"

I closed my eyes and rubbed my head. I shook my head so many times, my brain danced around in my head. "It's not...no. This is a different kind of personal"

"What other kind is there?"

"Revenge personal"