Falling

Matt's POV

"Care to explain?" Nate asked me, looking at his arm wrapped up. "I have time"

My donation crept up. Having to babysit my team made the time go quickly, but each look at Aurora made me stop. The way she didn't acknowledge me. I deserved it.

"Poor baby" Ava teased. "You should've come to help at the car wash"

On the way over, Ava asked me for help reaching car roofs. Her eyes met mine with the same interest shining in them now.

The last thing I wanted was girls giggling at me. My early morning workout ached my legs and arms, so I was useless. All I wanted today was for the guys to leave Aurora alone.

Aurora's presence had a weird power over me. Her thin fingers, the same ones laced with mine yesterday, passed out clipboards and snacks for hours.

Her posture slumped and she leaned against the desk to hold herself up. Her eyes were red, puffy and underlined with dark circles. And with a glare, she wasn't happy to see me again.

Silent treatment. That's new.

She probably perfected that tone at her shitty job. Nate had time, so I told him what happened. I left out the details of Aurora's past.

"I don't care"

She had every right to be mad, but I cringed at those words.

"Babe?" Nate stroked Ava's cheek. "Can I have a few minutes with Matt? I'll meet you outside"

"Sure" she leaned over and kissed him. "Love you"

Nate's expression turned serious when she left. "I see why you like Aurora. Like, really care for her"

"Doesn't matter"

"Of course it matters" he looked up at the clock. "Every minute you wasted here with me was one you could've spent winning her over"

"She's volunteering" I reminded him. "Not a word, Nate"

He smirked. "If anyone knows, it won't be me saying anything"

I shook my head and saw Baylen on the couch, staring at me with disappointment. Why was he still here? His donation was done hours ago. Before I asked, he hit my arm. "Why did you cock black me? I was going to ask out Aurora"

What planet was he living on? He would've asked Aurora to sit in the backseat of his car. Normally, I didn't care, but not today, and not her. "No, you weren't"

"A girl that small?" He crossed his arms and leaned back. "Why haven't you smashed yet?"

"Don't talk about her like that"

Baylen paused, but not for long enough. "There's only one reason a girl that hot wouldn't hook up with you. Your game isn't terrible, so she's a prude"

Was he asking to be punched? "Aurora isn't like that. Don't go there"

Baylen widened his eyes. "Dude, she is a trifecta!"

Not that crap again. I grabbed his shirt and moved my face closer.

"Chill, bro" he looked down at my fists, and then back up at my eyes.

"Is everything okay?" The reception lady asked. I loosened my grip on his shirt.

"We're cool" he told her.

"Sure" she looked between Baylen and I. "If you have to, take this outside"

"Sorry" I mumbled and glared at Baylen.