Not the Solution

Aurora's POV

He had small grey circles under his eyes, but his face was relaxed. I smoothed some strands of hair across his forehead. "Hey" I nudged his head off my shoulder. He groaned, putting his head back down on my shoulder. He groaned, not ready to be pulled out of his sleep.

I shrugged again and bounced his head. I smiled at his big spoon attempt, but a giant hand landed in the middle of my chest. "Not a chance"

"Can't blame a guy for trying"

"Get up" I pulled my sweater out from behind his head and he pressed his forehead against my neck.

"Is that an invitation?" I sighed at what he suggested. "You don't have to say anything to get me up"

"You're done" his collection bag looked full

"Not with you" he slumped down in bed. He couldn't mean those words. My heart raced until I noticed his face was pale, with a tiny of green.

"Matt?" I rubbed his shoulder. "Are you okay?" He mouthed 'yeah' but no sound came out, and his eyes were closed.  I patted his cheek and went to get Jenifer, cupping my elbows at the sight of Matt slumped over.

"Should he...look that bad?" Was that how Nate looked?

Matt was making it hard for me to stay mad at him. The way I bounced between rooms and donation stations was nothing to the tug of war inside me. As much as I wanted to hate Matt, I couldn't.

"No" Jenifer rushed past me. "Grab some ice water"

I ran as fast as possible. I returned with the cup to Matt's legs dangling over his bedside. A nurse removed his tubes and put bandages on his arm. His eyes were half open as he mumbled things to Jenifer.

"Will he be okay?" I asked, setting down the cup and standing between his legs, patting his cheeks. They were pale, but hot in my hands. "Matt?"

"Just need to get some smelling- oh shit!"

Before she could finish, Matt slid forward, and he fell into my arms, flattening me on to the floor.

Physically, I was fine despite two hundred pounds of muscle on top of my like a giant rag doll. Thankfully, I landed on my butt, but slumped backwards with Matt's weight.

While Jenifer woke Matt up with smelling salts, I called MaryLou. "Aurora!" Her voice sang in my ear. "How are you?"

"I'm fine, but uh...Matt's not feeling well" With glassy eyes, Matt coughed at the salts under his nose.

"What he did he do now?"

"He's a bit light headed"

"Cheese and rice" She panicked. "Is there anyway you can bring him home? I'm at yoga, he told me not to be there until three"

"Yeah"

With the help of stronger arms, Matt slumped in Dan's passenger seat. He mumbled a lot of 'I'm sorry's' on the way to his Mom's house. With a grunt, we flopped him on to her couch and sat next to him.

"Thanks again" MaryLou sighed

While she took off his shoes, I covered him with a blanket. I tucked it around his shoulders and patted his head. He looked peaceful. "He'll be okay?"

I couldn't read her expression, but she looked at him and nodded. "Nothing that a lot of sleep won't fix"

"Good" I stood up. "I should go"

"Are you sure?" MaryLou hugged me and guided me to the door. "You're welcome anytime"

"Thanks, but I have to get home" How much did she know about my chat with Matt? "Goodbye, MaryLou"