Stay

Aurora's POV

"Is that what you're wearing?" Dan looked me up and down as I shut the house door.

"What?" I stopped on the porch. I was wearing a sweater, jeans and comfortable shoes. I was comfortable.

"You look ready to clean the house, not party in it" He pointed at my black shirt. "You can't wear that"

"Watch me" I glared at him, with my hands on my hips. His frown wouldn't change my mind. Eight hours wasn't enough to get over his temper. "Just be glad I showered after work"

Burger King wouldn't impress any date, so the customers were family. The AC blew, turning the restaurant into an oven and I got off work early, and thankfully, no jocks showed up.

"I wouldn't let you in the car" Dan said as we walked down the driveway. His car shined after a recent wash, and the seat was slippery as I sat down. My birthday present was a new phone, which I accepted along with their joke of paying for all the service plans already their unlimited plan.

I sighed as Dan drove out of the neighbourhood. "We both know I don't even want to go" I huffed and pointed at him. "I was going for 'I'd rather sit in the car' vibe"

"You nailed it" he rolled his eyes. "At least I don't have to worry about guys hitting on you"

"That's the idea" I said, looking out the window. "If someone gets really drunk, we're leaving"

"Like Luke?"

Of course, he went there. "Especially, Luke"

"He's not the worst guy you could go out with, Aurora" He said, with a genuine smile. "He's liked you since-"

"Since he kissed Annie?"

I wasn't out for any guy, but 'not the worst' sounded like settling for low standards. "It didn't mean anything"

Twitches in my legs shifted me on the seat, and I clenched and unclenched my hands. My heart pounded the closer we got.

My exchange with Matt replayed in my mind, of how he stuck himself in my thoughts. How nice he smelled and how sparkly his eyes were. Whenever he opened his mouth, bullshit came out.

Dan broke the silence with a grunt. "Aurora, what's wrong? Other than not wanting to go to this party, you're edgy. It's not Luke, I can tell"

"I'm fine"

But I wasn't. Raine's text to go on a date with Matt was no help. I didn't expect her to abandon my team. I didn't share everything, but maybe she was on to something. A fake date would reveal his true intentions.

Raine always saw things clearly. I wished there was a switch to erase whatever pulled me to Matt. 

"Bullshit" Dan continued, not looking at me. "You're biting your lip. Did something happen with Matt that you're not telling me? Aurora, I swear if you don't tell me, I'll beat the truth out of him"

"Will you promise not to go crazy if I tell you?"

"Nope"

"He...asked me out" I whispered and bit my lip again.

Dan's foot slammed on the brake, and we lurched forward.

"What!?" His eyes were dark and he stared at me like I had two heads. Thanks, Dan. "You said no, right?"

"I..." My mind went blank. What did I say? "I called him an asshole"

"But did you say no?" I shrugged and he groaned loudly. "Aurora, you're naive. If you don't say no directly to guys like him, he'll think it's a yes"