Yes

Matt's POV

"Say that again" I demanded in a strained voice.

Chris smiled and held my door handle. With how he kicked it open, I was surprised it wasn't broken. "You have at least five minutes"

"What? Five minutes for what?"

"Before Aurora leaves" his smile made me furrow my eyebrows. "You're welcome"

His words finally registered in my brain and I shot upright. "Here? Right now? In this house?"

How did that happen? Chris went from wanting more time to dig dirt on her to... bringing her here?

I couldn't believe how she responded to my text, so I called her. She sounded off, and the conversation ended too soon. It made me wonder if something bad happened at that party.

"She gave me a ride" He smiled and cupped the back of his neck. "Dan's uh...on a date right now. She's on limited time, but you're welcome"

Dan shouldn't have left her, especially if she was uncomfortable. I combed my hair, brushed my teeth and stopped where Chris stood. "You could have warned me" He deserved a hug, but the smell of alcohol stopped me. "Have you seen Mom yet?"

He shook his head. "I came straight up here"

I appreciated that, but he shouldn't have drunk alcohol tonight. "Unless you want to be grounded too, go brush your teeth and go to bed. I'll cover for you. Where's Aurora?"

"Mom went outside to talk to her"

That was bad. Mom only needed thirty seconds before she started over sharing. "Fuck"

"Matt! Chris!" Mom called, so I shoved Chris into his room.

I felt Aurora's presence before I saw her. "Hi, baby"

She's really here.

Aurora huddled by the door. Her hair was in a ponytail, her eyes were red and puffy and the colour had drained from her cheeks. Despite her interesting style of clothes, she was beautiful. She looked...real. She was so fiery at the library, but now she looked like the life had been sucked out of her.

I'd never cared about a girls paralysis from me before, but a dull fear was in her eyes. She was biting her lip and staring at me like she didn't believe I was here. "Matt?"

I found myself restrained as I walked into the familiar territory. I got this. "Couldn't wait twenty four hours before seeing me again, huh?"

My gamble paid off. An invisible snap darkened her eyes and she pursed her lips. "I brought your brother home"

Chris. Fuck, she knew. How long before Dan did? I looked down at her outfit. "Nice shirt. Is that your party outfit?"

"I was going for a-" She started when Mom hug mauled her.

I'd seen Mom do that, a lot, but her hugging Aurora made me feel uncertain feelings. Those two against me?

"She's a hugger" I teased. "Play your cards right and I'll give you more that that"

"Matt!" Mom swatted at me and pulled Aurora into her side. "I didn't raise you with those manners. And Aurora looks lovely"

"It's okay" Aurora smiled. "But I'm cool with embarrassing baby pictures if you have any, MaryLou"

They were on first name basis already? "No pictures, Mom"

"I have plenty" Mom linked one elbow with Aurora's and dragged her into the kitchen. "Should we start with the naked ones?"