Wasn't Supposed to Happen

Aurora's POV

The kiss wasn't supposed to happen. None of it was supposed to happen. But, it did. And I couldn't stop smiling when I drove past a house that looked just like MaryLou's.

All I wanted was information on Matt. What he wanted with me, and if his interest was because of Dan. What I got, was a nice guy who introduced me to his family. Matt was just a normal, ridiculous guy around his Mom. I didn't expect to spend an hour with them.

Scrabble was great and MaryLou was something else, but Matt was the best surprise. Her stories about when he burned his eyebrows off with his chemistry set, made me laugh so hard.

I hated leaving. He looked so dreamy in the moonlight, with pale highlights on his handsome features and no shadow of being guarded.

Until he kissed my neck. For that reason, I shouldn't have liked it as much as I did. His cocky armour nudged me to give in, like leading a lamb to slaughter.

Matt's irritated reaction made hesitating the right decision. If he showed disappointment or sadness, then I would've trusted him.

His game was more a game than genuine interest. Play along, Aurora. Play with me. I wasn't interested in games and not with Matt, especially after what his Mom told me.

His sincerity surfaced about Chris. True concern filled his eyes and weighed them with an edge of desperation, which pinched my heart.

That's why I kissed him, reassurance of my promise. Nothing to do with the way my heart pounded in my chest like it wanted to punch through.

Halfway home, the peaceful serenity in the quiet car was interrupted by my phone ringing. I smiled at the contact. "Hi, Raine"

"Aurora! What the fuck?" Raine's anger rang through the speaker. "Were you going to call me tonight?"

Was I supposed to? "I thought you were on a date"

"Yeah" she exhaled. "I'm home, but no way I'm sleeping until you tell me now you're still in one piece. Or, at least some action"

"What? No. Sorry" I mumbled. "I'm driving to get Dan. He was on a date tonight, not me"

She was quiet for thirty seconds before she burst out laughing. "A date? Him? Hooking up in his car isn't a date"

I glanced into the backseat, where Chris had sat earlier tonight. "This one might be normal. Look, I'm driving, and I can't talk right now. I'll call when I get home. Thanks for the concern"

"I can't believe Dan spare tired you" she sighed. "Don't worry. You'll find someone else, someone to twist your panties inside out. Someone to make Dan your third wheel"

"Raine" I smiled, but I didn't want any of that. I wished her goodnight and let the radio keep me company.

I'd been around asshole hockey players since Dan first stepped on the ice. I interacted with them regularly, but none of his teammates affected me. I brushed Luke off like flicking a strand of hair over my shoulder.

But I'd never been asked what Mary Lou asked me tonight.

MaryLou: it was nice to meet you. Drive safe.
MaryLou: { image attached}

I laughed at his naked baby butt in the bathtub, but the lightness in my chest faded quick. Like a friendly kiss on his cheek, my conversation with MaryLou wasn't supposed to happen tonight.

"Aurora" MaryLou flashed me a smile. "I'm sorry for stealing you tonight"

"It's okay" Really, it was.