More Book Club

Aurora's POV

"Wait?" I didn't recognise my dry voice as it hung in the air between Matt and I. "What have you left to say? Should I tell you my second favourite book so you can rip it to shreds?"

Matt ran his hand through his hair and he looked at the tip of my nose, before stroking his thumb over the inside of my wrist

"I'm sorry"

My jaw dropped. I took a deep breath and hoped he couldn't hear my heart pounding. "For...being an ass about the book?"

He laughed and bounced his shoulders. "That's you making me nervous"

I...make him nervous? He oozed confidence and arrogance. I thought he wasn't capable of being nervous. Could he? No fucking way. It was a front? A pressure pulled at my heart at the possibility he was being honest.

Matt's laugh tempted me to smile. His biceps flexed as he leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees. My arms were noodles compared to his.

"No" His voice was lower, like he apologised for a more serious offence. If I didn't know better, his feelings were hurt. "I'm sorry about what happened to you at work. It won't happen again"

"Oh" my voice flattened. "That" other than ranting to Raine, I pushed it aside. Bringing it up was enough for me to pull away my hand. 

Was that why he was here? "Thank you. Excuse me, I have to go bleach your critique out of my-"

"That's not all"

A plea radiated from his gaze, and he squeezed my wrist. "Give me a chance"

The words 'for what' crept up my throat, but the crack in his voice held them back. Encouragement filled his eyes and he had a genuine smile on his lips.

"To show you I'm not what you think"

It wasn't like I didn't know him well. I didn't know anything about him. Being annoying, my brother's enemy, hot and didn't freak out when I puked on his feet was not a character profile.

Dan claimed he was a player who held no value to girls other than scoring points, but he looked like a guy who was sorry. I needed to know what he wanted. "What are you asking me for?"

"Unblock my number"

"Will you drop the teasing?"

He gave me a small smile. "I can't promise that"

"What will you promise?"

Matt took his time to respond. He raised his hand and stroked my hair. Weakness swayed me closer, and my lips parted.

"That you'll see me again"

Did I want to? I took a deep breath and a playful challenge rose. "You say that like it's a good thing"

With a short leap, I flung my foot over Matt's legs and climbed over. Halfway across, my thighs straddled his and...I couldn't touch down.

Why did I do this?

My weight pitched back, and the hairs on my arms lifted with my hands. Those shoulders tensed into rocks, and Matt stilled. His eyes sparkled with a joke at my expense, coupled with the smirk on his face.

In slow motion, my eyes closed. His masculine scent didn't help. I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. I was a kid on a pony ride.

Mind out of the gutter, Aurora.

Matt's hand on my hip, opened my eyes. My eyelids were lead. I couldn't lift them higher than his shoulder when he took a deep breath.

Matt's thumb drew an arc of tingles. "I think it's a good thing"