Wasn't Me

Matt's POV

A bad mood pried my eyes open on Thursday morning. With a Friday night off, this weekend was perfect to take Aurora out. I told her I would, but after she admitted to not seeing me at the shelter, she had been silent. She had no reason to contact me, and I took a break for trying to pursue her because the more I saw her, the more she opened up.

I needed a break. A week passed, and my only mood was irritation. My mood started when I punched Luke's ribs, and it grew each day.

My head fucked with me at the weirdest moments, ruining my effort to forget Aurora. My worst reminders were in the locker room where the guys talked about their plans. Once again, Cody's parents weren't home and they wanted to celebrate.

I checked my phone a lot for a message from her, any message. I would've welcomed an insult. A few times, I swore I saw her at school.

My Thursday morning pissed off mood got worse when I went downstairs to Mom's house, the front yard and my truck trashed with toilet paper, eggs and shaving cream. "What the fuck?" I stepped through the mess. I clenched my fists and braced myself for worse damage on my truck. No punctured tires or broken windows, but fuck.

"Matt- oh my" Mom's face fell as she stood in the doorway. The question 'why?' hung in her eyes. "Who would do this?"

Dan, no doubt. "I dunno" I mumbled. Her car was trashed. I took out my phone and took a quick picture.

Matt: good morning to me. Anyone else?
Matt: { image attached}

"I'll help clean it up" I assured her, before going inside for trash bags. Mom and I needed forty minutes, five trash bags, the garden hose and a lot of elbow grease to remove the shit on our cars and yard. Covered in sweat, I hauled my ass to school before the bell rang.

After I sat down and wiped my forehead, I noticed I had a voicemail.

'Fuck you, Matt. Take the hint and stay away from her'

Different numbers flooded my phone with the same message. I done the decent thing, and stayed away from her this week, but this shit was too much. I wanted to punch through a wall or tear something up.

It's on. He crossed the line too many times. This time, he handed Aurora's sympathy to me on a silver platter.

I took a deep breath and gripped the side of my desk. With a messy mind, I took nothing in from class. The concerned looks at the lunch table turned into blurs.

Less than twenty four hours later, my Dan problem wasn't isolated. I approached a table full of smiles, and my jaw dropped at the reason. "You did what!?" I yelled and cupped my forehead. These idiots! "What the fuck is wrong with you idiots?!"

"Chill, dude" Baylen crossed his arms. "We sent them a clear message. No one messes with our captain"

I didn't ask for this. Aurora was the plan, my plan , nothing more. Baylen thought he did me a favour. Instead, he chopped off the lid of that dangling gas over the fire using a machete. My knees swayed under my weight and I set my tray down. "And what proof did you have it was them?"

I had clear proof on my phone in a message I shared with just one person. Nate shrugged. "You know it was Dan"

And Aurora was going to think I did it. She deserved to know what her asshole brother done and these idiots response, so I texted her that I needed to see her. She got back right away, but she wasn't up for that. She didn't understand, so I went the direct route.

Matt: I need to see you, sweetheart

I wasn't sure how, but I had to see her. "You. Talk. Now" I said, snapping my fingers at Nate.