Lisa's House

Trigger Warning: this chapter contains depicting sexual assault which may be triggering and unsuitable for all readers.

Aurora's POV

"Here goes everything"

I took a deep breath and exhaled through my pursed lips. Butterflies swarmed my stomach, my heart pounded in my chest and adrenaline pumped through my veins. I titled my head at the church.

I wasn't sure how I felt about being here. I couldn't focus in school today. Instead, I circled a loop of unanswerable questions in my mind. Would I perform the tasks as instructed and slip out to go home or linger for help? Would I get help here? Did I want help here?

Miss Hillary,

Your final volunteer event is for a charity of your choice, which must be a real charity. Attached is a completion form for your chosen charity.

There is a 500 word essay due with your six completion forms. I'm sure you'll appreciate this opportunity to provide insight and influence to empower students in this program.

Thank you for your participation.

Principal Cox

His email prompted me here, but I stared at the doors like they would open automatically. They were stained dark wood. I couldn't open them, not because of the emotion in my heart or the fear of the pain coming back, but because my sweaty hands clutched a pile of boxes.

"I got it" a kind voice said, and a hand reached around me. Her long, curly hair was in a messy bun, and she held a small child on her hip.

"Thanks" I choked out, looking at the beautiful space. "Wow"

"Are you here for the meeting?" The girl asked.

I opened my mouth to say 'I think so', when a familiar voice cut us off. "Aurora!" A tall, older lady with grey hair approached us.

"Lisa!" The girl next to me gave her a side hug. Another Aurora?

"Is this Mike?" Lisa inspected the little boy in Aurora's arms, then hugged him. "It can't be! He's too heavy!"

Mike squealed and grabbed Lisa's hair. I would've screamed murder, but she laughed. "Go ahead to nursery, trouble" Lisa smiled at Aurora and gave Mike back. "We'll see you shortly"

Lisa approached me with a warm smile, but my heart raced and my mouth dried. The containers weighed double from when I took them out of the car. "Hi" she squeezed my arm. "Do you need some help?"

"Hi" I whispered, searching her eyes. "Are you Lisa?"

I meant to ask if she was the lady I spoke on the phone with. "I am. Aurora Hillary, right? Nice to meet you" She took my top three boxes and I sighed in relief. "You didn't have to make all this, but it's appreciated"

"Thanks" I wiggled my numb fingers. "So, there's another Aurora?"

"No" she smiled. "Follow me, I'll explain"

We walked down the same hallway non- Aurora took. Was Lisa's name not really Lisa? It seemed rude to ask.

"The church lets us use their space for my office and our meetings" she explained.

She stopped at the second doorway and tilted her head. The room had a massive table in the middle, a cluster of small tables pushed aside, and a small kitchen area with platters set up. I omitted to sharing why I was here, only telling Mom about the charity and that it was my last one.

When we were done, Lisa turned to me and put her hand on her hip. "Monday's and Friday's, the church serves a hot dinner for board meetings. Several girls have children, so church opens its nursery for free childcare and dinner during group meetings. We'll appreciate your help in the daycare"

"Great" an uneasy feeling appeared in my stomach. I know nothing about kids and babies. She didn't expect me to change a diaper, did she?

"Before I take you there, Aurora, why did you choose this charity?" She crossed her arms, looking curious as she studied my eyes for an answer.

The temptation to tell the truth was on my tongue, but it was best to give the same reason again. I tried to sound casual, but my voice broke. "I searched online for women's charities and this was the first to come up"

"There's a lot of women charities" Lisa raised her eyebrow. "Ours is small, but....do you know someone who's been a victim of sexual abuse?"

My jaw dropped. Was I that obvious? Should I tell her? She's a stranger, but wasn't there comfort in that?

I nodded. She studied me for what felt like years, then she picked up a piece of paper and a marker. She scribbled down something. "Name tag" she slapped a large sticker close to my right shoulder, then palmed it in place.

She knew? She knew. Without leaning against the counter, I would've fallen over. How did she know?

"For everyone's privacy and safety, we use fake names. All names are from Beatle's songs"

Beatles? I knew their music from Mom singing them when I was younger. I frowned at the name. "Prudence?"

"We don't normally allow minor volunteers at the meetings, but..." She started, studying my expression. "I have a feeling we need to make an exception. When we start, sit next to me and don't feel forced to talk"

Don't feel forced. Good, because I couldn't find my voice to use it. One after another, older girls entered until the space filled with friendly conversations. The conversations were less awkward than I thought. When the last plate was empty, we pushed the table aside and put our chairs in a circle.

A small girl, with baggy clothes, brown curls spilling out from her cap and pale skin sat on my left. I dropped my gaze; Sarah.

"We have a new friend tonight" Lisa patted my shoulder. "And whoever sits on my left, never has to say a word. So let's start; name tags name and amount of time since your last incident. I don't have any themes, so anything is welcome"

She moved her hand from my shoulder to her chest. "Lisa. Forty four years"

My jaw almost dropped, earning me a wink from Lisa. She waved to the girl on the right. "Rita. It's been ten months" a round of claps followed her response.

A quiet girl looked at me first, then Lisa. "Lucy. It's been seventeen months"

A girl with pale skin and green eyes spoke in a low voice. "Bonnie. It's been two months, but I'm getting there day by day"

Blonde girl with hair in a ponytail and blue eyes. "Lizzie. Six months"

"Aurora" the girl who held the door for me, smiled at me. "Two years last week"

"Georgia. Eight months"

"Pam...proud to say four years now" her hair bounced off her shoulders and her eyes sparkled.

The third girl with blonde hair scanned the room. "Penny. Seven months"

After Penny's claps died down, most girls sat straighter. The brown haired girl on my left took a deep breath and kept her eyes on the ground.

"It's okay, Sarah" Lisa assured her. "This is a safe place"

"Sarah...three days"

Three days? Three days.

No words existed to describe the emotion inside me. She was so brave and strong. Everyone here was, not me. I pretended to be sick in bed three days after my incident. I didn't need to know the details to know each girl here experienced horrific, evil trauma. Everyone's bodies were violated, their emotions broke, but was Sarah admitted was...raw.

Poor Sarah. She didn't deserve that. None of us did. Electricity pulsed in my fingers until they twitched and took Sarah's hand. I laced them and she squeezed my hand.

She's so strong.

Lisa shifted her eyes to me. "Next then"

This small crowed room held a suffocating power. It was scary as fuck.

"Uh....hi" I gave an awkward half smile and shifted in my chair. "I'm Prudence. And uh...." I failed to take a deep breath as the nerves rolled around in my stomach.

It's okay, Aurora.
They'll understand.

"It's been three years, three weeks and two days"