The black mansion, again

Another Man…..One And Only

Regan and Beatrice were waiting in the living room for over an hour now but the boy was not coming out of his room. Beatrice gestured to her husband with her worried eyes and Regan only smiled at her listening to all the disagreement between the young couple.

It was no surprise to Regan when Ian didn’t show up after they arrived at the Smith’s residence.  He could hear Ethan and Mr William’s voice clearly, trying to reason with the younger, but he pretended not to hear since it was what he was expecting from the young boy after all.

Ian would refuse to meet him, Regan knew that.

The rest of the family was also there in the living room, averting eyes and avoiding looking at the old couple in embarrassment because of the youngest in the house. Not a single one of them expected Ian to just cut off all the progress they had made so far in a snap.   

It was no joke to come against that otherworldly and then stand your ground just to get a denial in return.

The odd couple has prepared themselves for the need, they worked hard the previous days so they could move ahead in this gravely matter. The only thing that was left was Ian and his presence to make anything work. Which seemed impossible to the rest of the family.

But not to Regan, no.

“I don’t want to meet him Ethan…..please” Sharon closed her eyes in frustration and sighed tiredly at the constant refusal of Ian to his husband.

Until last night, everything was going fine. Ian was alright, had his dinner, medicines and then he went to sleep with his husband.

Then what caused this sudden change of mind?

Sharon didn’t know what caused Ian to suddenly freak out about meeting Regan but he was adamant and was not budging even when his father coaxed him as well and so she felt helpless and frustrated more with the situation.

“call him” Regan’s voice brought her back from her confused mind and she looked at the old man with a question.

“but he is…..” Sharon tried to tell Regan about Ian in case he didn’t hear the boy but she was stopped in the middle when Regan raised his hand rather harshly.

“call him,” he said again. The expression of relaxation and calmness was leaving Regan’s face instead his features morphed into something like a mix of anger and alarm.

Sharon sighed weakly and went to get the boy from his room.

………..

Ian was on the verge of tears when he was brought to the living room against his will. He wasn’t forced at all but still, it felt like he was controlled of some sort.

The younger was shaking on his spot where Ethan made him sit before taking a seat beside him.

Regan glanced at Ian for a second long and closed his eyes. The old man mumbled some incoherencies and the awaited eyes watched him in curiosity.

Soon he opened his eyes and stretched his hand towards the younger boy.

Ian shook his head like a stubborn child, eyes static and lips sealed with a devilish smirk. He denied Regan making Ethan look at his husband’s bad behaviour.

This was not the Ian Regan was hearing pleading for an hour.

“Baby…..don’t do this. We are here with you aren’t we?.......” Ethan started rubbing Ian’s sides to comfort him but the boy didn’t pay any heed to his husband.

He was busy playing with the old man.

“… Please……we need your help to help you baby” Ethan was almost pleading. Ian was sitting still on his spot; his eyes were boring back into Regan’s strict one as the old man muttered something under his breath.