You can leave

You can leave

Ethan picked up the phone only to hear the words he had been waiting to hear for many days now. The reception at his building informed him about the unknown visitors and Ethan was more than happy to welcome them.

It’s been a week since their visit to Burlington but there was no sign of Regan or Beatrice. The old couple neither contacted nor did they visit.

It was truly nerve-racking for Ethan because his patience was getting thin. A small string of hope is what is left with him.

The hope was that the small book in Ethan’s possession was the only thing that kept him going.

He has seen the effect that book had. The black figure trying to pry it off its way only firmed the belief that the tiny book has efficient influence over that evil creature.

Ian was one of the reasons for Ethan to stick to that couple and not pursue any other helper.

The older was beyond happy when the next morning, after placing the book under Ian’s pillow, the young boy was wide awake before Ethan.

He asked for water and then food in his timid voice and Ethan stifled the urge to present everything Ian would love to eat.

It was after many days that the boy asked for something to eat without anyone begging him. although, Ian ate only a small portion, still it was the best moment in forever.

So when he heard the news of the old couple asking for his apartment at the reception, Ethan was so happy. He has gone down to get them up himself, and Mr Smith tagged along.

When he came back with Regan and Beatrice, the family was waiting for them in the living room.

Regan entered first and right away placed his hand over his nose to block the strong smell of rotten meat wafting from somewhere in the house.

Beatrice gagged a little but placed her kerchief over her mouth quickly. It was odd for the family to see them react like this.

Maybe they didn’t feel that strong smell everyone who came to their house was uncomfortable with. Nonetheless, Cameron became conscious of her house and was embarrassed as she looked around.

“Is anything wrong?” Ethan asked the old lady, deliberately avoiding talking with Regan. He was a little awkward with Regan and he couldn’t do anything about it.

“It’s nothing, don’t worry” she replied politely while racking her eyes around the house.

They were offered a seat in the living room while Cameron rushed to get some drinks for the guest. She came back with water and placed the glasses in front of them.

The couple didn’t reach out for the water.

Regan watched around the house with keen eyes, halting in between at some odd places before continuing.

“Where is the boy?” he asked, voice strained and cracking. He was an old man but his voice seemed stressed for other reasons.

Ethan shared a worried look with his father.

“he is upstairs in his room” Cameron answered at which Beatrice stood up from her place and gestured Ethan to follow her.

Ethan followed her obediently leaving his family and a very concerned-looking Regan behind.

“Did anything happen the past few days?” Regan asked with a strong gaze fixed over Mr William.

“Nothing that was concerning. We haven’t seen anything since our visits to your house” Mr Smith elaborated but Regan kept looking at Mr William.