Chapter 48 - The Island of Sokomera.

January 17, 1774. 4:31 | 4:31:00 Hours

Jylonian Combined Fleet Battleship Squadron 5, Carrier Group 3, 2nd Jylonian Marine Division.

(Operation Week Inferno)

Four hundred kilometres away from Sokomera Island.

The island they seek looms a mere four hundred miles away from their present location, its presence hidden amidst the shroud of the gloomy morning mist. Despite the obscurity, the relentless crash of ocean waves colliding echoes through the air. Sailors stationed above exert command over the vessel, their efforts accompanied by the resounding clang of massive battleships' metal structures as they negotiate the tumultuous waves.

Amidst the symphony of sea and ship, the predominant cacophony emerges from the bustling radios stationed below deck. The veil of darkness renders everything invisible, yet strategically positioned spotlights cast scattered beams across the vast expanse of the ocean, guiding the battleships in their pursuit of the elusive island.

There exists a queue of thirty-five warships, predominantly landing boats ferrying men from the 2nd Jylonian Marine Division. Their stated objective: was to seize control of a small island that, as of yet, posed no threat to the occupying forces. However, the sheer number of warships assembled made this expedition appear more akin to an invasion than a peacekeeping operation. The Colonel, privy to information about a covert military incursion titled "Operation Hellweek," authorized by the operational command in the Jylon Republic, observed the unprecedented speed of this formation of vessels. Despite the encompassing darkness, the sight of numerous marines on deck, witnessing the ship's movements as it surged over the waves, was truly remarkable. The crashing waves against the ship's bow added a mesmerising aspect to the otherwise pitch-black scene.

Re-entering the ship's main structure, he is greeted by the returning downpour, intensifying the day's solemnity beyond his expectations. Inside, the presence of grief hangs heavily in the air. Seeking out the ship's captain amid the bustling activity of the sailors and the audible hiss of steam emitting from the main quarters, he navigates the imposing metal interiors. The ship's massive construction renders it an uncomfortable living space for many aboard. Passing by, he notices several of his marines already in slumber, preparing themselves for the impending operation.

Amid the dimly lit corridors illuminated only by red lights, he ventures down one of the numerous passageways leading to the fourth floor, taking measured steps to the left.

Crossing over to the upper bridge, rain continues to pour, offering a glimpse of the distant flashes of thunder through the Structure Manhole. Despite the early hour, the ship manoeuvres through tumultuous waves, making a steady progression towards a seemingly inconsequential island. Yet, the Colonel senses an air of significant importance attributed to this particular destination by the Jylonian high command.

Retracing his steps towards the door leading to the main bridge, a sailor opens the hatch and steps inside. The Colonel acknowledges the Executive Officer (XO) with a salute, reciprocated promptly by the XO in acknowledgement.

"Is this your first visit to the bridge?" inquired the XO.

The colonel simply laughed, replying cynically, "Not my first ship," prompting a chuckle from the XO in response.

"Well, Colonel, welcome to the JSS Florence Concorde's Bridge," the XO warmly remarked.

He glanced towards the brightly illuminated Helmsmen Chamber positioned at the heart of the bridge, observing numerous officers adorned in the latest military gear befitting a battleship. Standing as the flagship of the current combined fleet and the newest addition to the Jylonian navy, the Admiral Florence Concorde-Class Fast battleship commanded attention. Making his way to the narrow viewport, he couldn't help but notice the two 14-inch/45-calibre gun batteries arranged in a quadruple layout, relics of older weaponry intended for faster battleships within the fleet. Nevertheless, the Navy operated under deeply entrenched traditions. The design choice was, in a sense, expected.