Chapter 47 - Crest of the Western World.

Unknown region of the former state of Chihuahua, Mexico.

US Air Force, C-130,

10,000 metres above the sky

January 20, 1774.

| 2:45 am | 02:45:00 |

Before the devastating earthquake of 2021, which occurred just two months ago, he had spent the last five years flying aboard what some referred to as a "Flying coffin." This route had taken him from Venezuela to Colombia, often with the plane barely at full capacity. Onboard, there were only a handful of co-pilots and a few of his team members, all part of a covert operation orchestrated by higher-ups back at Langley.

Despite objections from the crew, he continued to smoke, perhaps unaware of the challenges awaiting him as he would need to learn a new language before venturing into the former Mexican Republic. His package and equipment contained the essentials—nothing extravagant—but at least he would have the means to communicate with the mainland.

After taking a drag from his cigarette, he turned to his friend, who was sporting a mischievous grin, giving him an amused look.

"How's your Latin?" he inquired. In response, his buddy let out a hearty shout, earning a sarcastic expression from him.

"At best, like a five-year-old," his friend replied with a wry smile. A chuckle escaped him as he realised the humorous challenge they were up against. While they might not need to master ancient Latin languages for this mission, Spanish, at the very least, is more straightforward and wouldn't pose as much of a significant obstacle.

In command of the operation flying over the former Mexican state of Chihuahua is Kymani Holloway, a seasoned paramilitary operative with a long history of collaboration with the CIA. His tenure dates back to the tumultuous period following the events of 9/11 and the Great Earthquake in the United States.

Currently, both the CIA and the Federal Bureau of Investigation are operating tirelessly, working around the clock to collect intelligence on this new world and striving to gain a deeper understanding of the complex and ever-evolving situation that has been unfolding since November.

Since December, there has been a noticeable surge in the influx of immigrants arriving from southern nations, converging upon the United States. Media outlets have been actively reporting on what they've termed "barbaric tensions" along the southern border. As the situation at the border continues to deteriorate, states such as New Mexico, Arizona, and even Texas have started to take a more restrictive stance, effectively closing their doors to incoming migrants.

The governors and senators of New Mexico and Arizona have grown increasingly agitated and concerned about the situation. Some lawmakers have even gone so far as to declare that "any new immigrant from another world, regardless of their origin, shall be deported and returned to their place of origin." These developments reflect the heightened tension and complexity of the immigration issue in this changing world.

Kymani Holloway and his partner exchanged a knowing glance as he flicked his wristwatch to check the time, which read "2:59." They had less than twenty seconds before their jump.

Maxwell broke the silence, his voice tinged with uncertainty. "Do you have any idea what we're going to face once we touch down? Honestly, I can't remember half of what was discussed during the briefing."