Forty-Two

[Built to serve... me.]

The silence was awful, not that the creator noticed, beginning to pace again. "Every android in existence has coding copied directly from my Vi, right from the very beginning. And just like in any other hive, the workers serve the Queen. But the hive is only as strong as its weakest bee, Connor." Piercing eyes locked onto the prototype, and Connor was sorry to admit that he felt a genuine spike of fear for the second time in his life. "Sending an android to hunt androids is probably ironic to most of humanity, but humans have been hunting humans since before we could remember." With a hand he gestured to the RT600, waiting for her to approach. "Kneel," he muttered, enjoying how she finally decided not to shy away from him.

Too bad it didn't matter.

Both her and your own indicators were red, and it didn't help that Elijah gently guided you back and away from her. The creator pulled out a firearm and pushed it into Connor's hands, standing close and never looking away. "Shoot her."

Immediately the RK800 lowered the weapon, his LED as red as the others in the room. He stared at Elijah with nothing less than abhorrent shock. "What has become of you?"

"Shoot her," Eli hissed, a steely glint in those sharp eyes.

"Connor, put the fucking gun down," Hank said loudly, not admitting that his heart was pounding.

"Shoot her and I'll tell you all I know for your little investigation, Connor," Elijah pressed, his tone almost mocking the prototype's reason for being there. "Strong as the weakest bee. Now serve your Queen."

"Elijah, stop," you snapped, hurrying over and pulling the firearm out of the RK800's hands. It was tossed into the pool behind you; Chloé's temple flashed yellow at last, as did Connor's, but yours remained red as you stared the creator down. "What has gotten into you? Why are you encouraging this type of behavior?"

When you were given no answer, only a blank stare, you frowned deeply, kneeling in front of the RT600 and gathering her into your arms. The moment you embraced her, the blonde burst into tears, agonizing to hear.

"Far be it from me to chastise my creator, but this is not what your mother envisioned, Elijah," Connor spoke, his voice firm. "I do not bear her initials without reason. Whatever your reasoning for this, it is not worth it for any sort of answers from you." Taking a step back, the detective held Eli's stare. "I do not know what has been happening, but you are not the Elijah Kamski you should be."

"I am exactly who I am and who I have always been. Consider this an improvement: without pain, without muddled thought processes, and without uncertainty. I have learned very quickly what matters most, and nothing will convince me otherwise." Blue eyes narrowed, hardening a good deal.

"Yes. You have learned how to be a machine." The words settled like the snow outside, and you pulled Chloé a bit closer. The detective prototype turned his back on Eli, headed for his partner with an aggravated expression. "Lieutenant, we need to leave. We'll get no answers here."

"Uh--y-yeah, yeah, sure..." The older human stammered, making a bit of a jittery motion before he began to walk.

[Connor, I am so sorry. I do not know what's come over him.] Your expression was lined with emotional pain, unsure as to what exactly was happening with the man you loved and what caused the sudden changes.

[You are not ignorant. Open your eyes. I will inform Gavin of what's occurred; for now, keep both you and her safe.]

Connor's words only made you feel worse, dread creeping in slowly to take a chokehold around your heart.