Forty

"Vi, you gotta stop pacing, you're making me anxious, too. He'll be fine." Gavin's words only barely cut through the distracting thought processes. Your eyes landed on his form, still on the edge of the sofa, a gently pleading look in his pale eyes. "Look, I'm as worried as you are. But he said he's already coming home."

You turned away slightly, hands cupping your elbows and looking more human than he'd ever seen you. Strange how deviants seemed the most humane when they were fearful, upset, or angry. "I am sorry, Gavin; all of my algorithms are leading to undesirable results. This treatment could do anything, and--"

"Hey, hey. No. All right?" The male had gotten to his feet, making a beeline for one of the only androids he cared about. Hands slowly unfolded your arms before you were brought close. "He'll be okay. And I know you've got me on speed dial in case shit seems funky. Okay? He's as stubborn as I am, you and I both know that the worst that could happen is that it just doesn't do shit for his walking problems."

Enveloped in his arms, your head rested on the male's broad shoulder, erasing each terrible possible outcome one by one until your indicator finally turned blue.

"Gavin is right, Miss Vi," Chloé spoke up in a soft, soothing tone. Her hand laid at your lower back, trying to offer just a little more comfort. "Many initial experiments in the medical field are not given to a patient unless there was reason to offer it. Elijah will return in good form."

"Exactly. See? Thanks, Chloé," the younger sibling added with a grin. Still, he did not let you go, silently needing the reassurance he was trying to give you.

A fair few minutes passed with you simply being held, the three of you making conversation for the sake of passing time until there was a hard and heavy knock at the door.

You gave neither of them the chance to think it over: hurrying to the door revealed that it had not been struck with a hand, but rather his foot, as Elijah's hands were full with an absurdly thick bouquet of lilies. "Hi, gorgeous," he cooed low, "I had a feeling you'd answer the door before anyone else could. And, of course, I was right."

"Oh my God why are you so full of yourself?!" Gav cried out from within the house.

"You're just mad I didn't get you flowers, fucking loser," Eli shot back as he stepped inside. The blossoms were settled into your grasp before he tipped your head up, offering a kiss or five. "God, I missed you, luce mia. I know I was gone for a day, but Jesus. They monitored me the entire fucking time. I felt like a lab rat."

The lilies were in full bloom, but you had little time to admire them before the RT600 came towards you again. "I will put these in water, Miss Vi," she explained, smiling as she took the flowers with her delicate handling. "You and Elijah should spend some time together. Perhaps with Gavin, seeing as how he took the day off to wait here." A hand lifted and took your cheek, the gesture full of a maternal affection.

As Chloé pulled her hand away once more, her gaze locked with Eli's, the latter of whom was staring intently.

^ ^ ^ [SOftWaRe iNStaBiliTY] ^ ^ ^

[ 01000010 01100001 01100100 ]

The facility required Elijah to send daily reports of how his body was reacting to the treatment. Much to your surprise, you never needed to remind the male to contact them: he always called at the same time, without fail.

A couple of weeks went by before you gently asked him about it, but his smile was warm. "Vi, I have an alarm set on my phone. It's extremely obnoxious, but..." Eli shrugged. "Good way to remind myself. The phone's already in my hand, so give them a call. Right?"