Thirty-Two

"It seems I shall be meeting you soon, Miss Vi."

Already standing on the wooden dock, Connor's hands were behind his back in the usual android manner. His gentle, crooked smile seemed to shine as you approached, eyes honing in on the new model number on his jacket: RK800. "You have been given a body, Connor?"

"Indeed, I have. A body and a new purpose, though I will not be far." He didn't seem keen on actually explaining his purpose, so the probability that you would find out for yourself was increasing. Holding out a hand, you accepted his assistance in stepping into the boat. He seemed content rowing you around still, though his warm eyes watched you dipping your hand into the cool water. Now that you could properly feel it, it had become something like a comfortable routine. "I understand that Elijah wishes to give you a new body, as well. Does this stir any feelings, Miss Vi?"

Lifting your head, the indicator blinked yellow slowly. "A proper body, as he explains it, is... I do not know how to feel. This is all I know, so this situation is difficult to understand."

Connor nodded, releasing the oars carefully so the boat could glide through the water on its own. "You are what is considered the first generation of our kind. Functional, obedient, and with a human-like appearance, one cannot tell the difference." Your violet eyes were gazed into, his smile widening by a fraction. "Mostly human-like, perhaps. But you were not given gender-specific aspects, especially as you are what the creator calls the Queen Bee."

As this sank in, your LED remained a vibrant yellow. "I..." Now you frowned, unable to work through this new algorithm.

Reaching over, your hand was taken into both of his. "You do not yet understand, but you will. Apprehension is expected, Miss Vi. Elijah holds you dear to his heart, perhaps moreso than anything else. This is his way of wanting to express his love for you."

You knew what intercourse was, but it was the idea of a new and strange body that gave you pause. "... then what of you, Connor? Were you properly equipped?"

That lopsided smile reappeared as the male tapped the side of his head. "That's a secret, Viviana."

[ 01010101 01010011 ]

"You could always try roughing it up a little," he suggested, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. His smirk was palpable, succeeding in making Gavin Reed the token asshole of the DPD.

At least in front of the shiny new prototype detective. Internally, his stomach was in knots, hearing the RK800 speaking, offering to interrogate the deviant suspect.

Of all the fucking androids they churn out, they had to send Eli's old assistant our way? They didn't change his goddamn voice in the slightest.

... Did they completely leave you alone, Con? Did they just throw you into a body and stuck a bow on your head?

As the android ventured into the other room to try his hand in interrogation, the shorter human frowned deeply.

I'm in too fuckin' deep to start being all friendly with an android in the bullpen. Definitely not here, with all these goddamn cameras.

Connor turned out to be incredibly skillful with stressing out the suspect. Gavin hoped to God that Hank didn't catch him flinching as his new partner suddenly burst out with "TWENTY-EIGHT STAB WOUNDS."

...... Connor, do you even recognize me?

_____

"HEY GAVIN, NICE COSTUME!"

The outcry carried through the ground floor, and the man in question grinned wide. "DAMN RIGHT, I KNOW I LOOKED GOOD!"

Wait, hang on a fuckin' second. We weren't out for that long.

His pale eyes widened, realizing that by some goddamn miracle, a photo of the three of you had made its way into the newspaper.

A copy of which was in the RK800's grasp, scanning and putting the thing to memory. The moment Connor's LED returned to blue, his warm eyes met Reed's.

Gavin offered his finest double bird salute, sneering with astounding intensity. "The fuck you staring at, tin can? Huh?!" The RK800 didn't verbally respond, tilting his head to the right by a few degrees. Swallowing hard, Reed went on. "If you know what's good for you--"

"Reed, go soak your head," the lieutenant cut in, sounding tired already. "I don't wanna hear your shit."

Scoffing, the younger male slowly formed a smirk instead. "Should get a refund, Hank; this one's pretty defective." Unable to stand there and have the prototype watch him for much longer, Gavin spun on his heel and headed for the bathrooms.

Ten years of acting haughty and pissed off around androids had given him practice, but he barely made it into the restroom before he had to lean on the counter, gray eyes wide and staring at nothing. Torn between horror and awe.

Why? Why does it have to be him? I know why he's here; he's trying to help CyberLife stop this deviant thing. But it's been a thing from the beginning. What sort of cruel fucking irony is this to send Eli's old assistant to hunt deviants?!

His grip on the sink was awful, knuckles white as he tried desperately to regain some sense of normalcy.

... at least until the door was opened and the one being Gavin didn't want to see strolled in, hands behind his back as he eyed the human.

Jaw clenched, the shorter male turned his head just enough to see the prototype right there. "What the fuck is your problem, you plastic prick? You looking to get your ass beat?"

Connor's smile was soft and lopsided. "Hello, Gavin; I've missed you too."

There were, of course, no cameras in the restrooms. Therefore, no one could watch Gavin Reed launch himself at the RK800, clinging to the android with a desperate iron grip. The human's breathing was heavy and unstable, trying to fight off the tears that had accompanied his relief.

Connor was quiet, keeping the human close while he calmed himself down. "Do not be concerned. I know why you act the way you do, and I am not capable of being offended when I know you are protecting your brother." Those words were soft, reassuring, and exactly what the human in his arms needed to hear.

"D-did they... just slap you into a body, man...? You sound exactly the s-same..." Gavin's questions were muffled, mouth pressed into the gray fabric. Somehow, he clung even tighter.

"Yes. CyberLife did not seem bothered by what was on the external hard drive Elijah had given them." Feeling the other male relax, the prototype smiled to himself. "You have grown to be a remarkable man, Gavin. I am proud of you, and I am happy to be in your company once more."

Thank God androids could not detect chills in humans since Gav lost all feeling in his legs at once.