Nine

Since Gavin had been away for nearly half a year, he realized just how much things had progressed when he set foot into CyberLife the next day. "Holy shit," he mumbled with a low whistle, looking around slowly at how busy the place was.

Now that your functioning body had been revealed, Elijah knew that he had to present you properly: make appearances, face to face tests, even the Turing test. And since you had been an incredible success in the first place, they now had to work in earnest, developing other plans for more models and maybe even mass production.

But Gavin seemed more interested in you than in the process part to it, which was going to be a common theme. "So... she's functioning. Seems fine, aside from that light on the side of her head. The hell is that, anyway?"

"An LED indicator. Like a visible status report, almost. Blue means she's fine, yellow means she's processing information, or even just caution, and red is danger. Something needs repairs, or whatever." Elijah pressed his mouth thin, almost hidden behind his facial hair. "....... Gav, you got a minute?"

"Yeah, what's up?" But the taller male walked away, meaning he had to follow. And for the sake of privacy against an omnipresent android, they went outside.

Folding his glasses and hooking them onto the pocket of his lab coat, Eli closed his eyes. "I need the truth from you. Even if you think it's dumb."

"Depends on what you're about to tell me, dude. Shoot."

He paused. "... am I selfish for not wanting to show Vi to the world?"

Mouth agape, the younger sibling lifted his hands in a gesture of extreme disbelief. "The fuck is the matter with you, man?! Vi is fucking incredible! She's what you've been working so damn hard for! And now you're gonna pussy out?!"

"That's not what I meant," Elijah hissed. "God damn it, Gavin, I mean if I show her to the public, they're all gonna want an android that looks like her. I..." He sighed, arms crossing as he shifted his weight. "... I mean, am I selfish for wanting there to be only one Vi in the world? The one android no one else can have?"

"Well..." There was a pause. "... I thought you were creating Vi for Mom?"

Damn it. "I was. That was my whole plan. I know it started as a personal assistant thing, and I'm still gonna create an android for Mom. But...." Exhaling hard, Eli lowered his gaze. His stomach was uneasy, churning in his indecision.

"You got attached to her, huh?" There was a peculiar grin creeping up on Gavin's face. "Shit, you've had her around for years."

"Yeah? What's that look for, then?" The sudden accusation made his brother's grin fall flat instantly. "Vi is more than an assistant, yes, but don't give me that look like you know something I don't. I've had her around for five years and I don't want things to change. If I present her to the rest of the world, she'll be everywhere." Elijah's voice went quiet. "You know what? I don't care if it's selfish. I created her, am I not entitled to keep something to myself? It's not like I don't plan on creating more, I just want one by my side. She chose her appearance for the most part; the others won't have much of a say at all."

As the taller male turned to leave, gray eyes had narrowed. "So why the fuck did you ask me in the first place?"

Gazing back over his shoulder, the peculiar smile spread on Eli's face this time. "Same reason I always ask, Gav. I need a second opinion to bounce ideas off of."

"I hope you realize what this means, dude." Gavin approached again, frowning only a slight bit. "This android thing is gonna blow up. I know it is."

"I hope it does."