Twelve

FAILED ME?!

"No, no no no, oh my God, Vi, no, you haven't failed me," Eli reassured you, quick to catch the tears running down your cheeks. That in and of itself was concerning; did he design his androids to be able to cry? "You haven't failed me and you would never be able to."

"This is not wh-what I am designed to do. I do not feel, Elijah, I am a machine. Wh-why is this happening?" The lovely voice you'd always had was hitching, soft and broken words trying to override the urge to sob. Sure, you had lungs, in a way, but they weren't made to help you cry! You weren't supposed to be able to! "Please... please fix me," you added, unable to stop the quiet whimper before no more sound would come.

God damn his aching heart. You could not be consoled, so all your creator could do was pull you close, holding you in his silent effort to give comfort.

She thinks she's failed me because she's evolved so much, even to the point of trying to create emotions. But...

The physical attempt to calm his beloved android would do nothing when you couldn't actually register touch. So Elijah had to rely on other means. "You will never fail me. I've designed you this way for a reason, I cannot be angry at how you develop. If you're experiencing emotions, or if your coding has managed to form them, then I'm proud of you. More than ever. Vi..." he added, pulling away just enough to tip your head back to meet his gaze. "... you are incredible. I will never consider you a failure."

[Why is my fuel pump regulator malfunctioning?]

The tears slowed to a stop but you weren't let go, still held to the human's body. Azure eyes closed as Eli frowned. "I am sorry in advance. I won't get to spend as much time with you as I'd like tonight, but I know you and Gavin get along well. He will take care of you in my stead."

Seeing the regret lining his face, you lifted a hand to lay it on his chest. It caught his attention, anyways. "Elijah. Please present yourself to the public with Chloé by your side, and do not say such things. I am very accustomed to this life you are leading; let me fulfill my duties and assist the CEO of CyberLife. This is who I am."

"You're not," he muttered, a surge of anger flashing briefly. "You're more than just my fucking assistant, Vi."

Recollection came to the forefront, a particular memory file opening and letting you smile. "Six letters, very easy. Friend?"

No...

Elijah shook his head, his vague smile forming. "Wrong. Four letters, maybe not as easy." Your head tilt gave his heart a shock. "Muse, Vi. I look at you and I only want to create more for your sake. So that everyone can experience what I do when I see you. I--......" He fell quiet, face closed off as he looked away. "... we should go."

[Muse]

Unwilling to say more for fear of rambling like an idiot, Elijah released you and drew back, going to open his bedroom door.

... only to find Chloé already there, hand up as though she intended to knock, and her LED a solid yellow as she locked eyes with you.

[ 01010110 01001001 ]

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you two managed to scrape up a pair of decent partners," Carl mused gently, smiling in the same manner as he gazed at you and Chloé.

"Mr. Manfred, surely you have kinder things to say about Elijah and Gavin," you replied in a gentle teasing voice.

Throwing his head back and laughing, it was made all the better with the siblings' reactions: appalled on both sides. But there was a knowing gleam in your eyes: you knew where Carl was going with his comment.