Lycos

*Scribble* *Scribble*

The faint scraping sound could be heard in a room filled with only the darkness of the night. Scattered on a desk were opened scrolls with an exquisite handwriting common in all of them. A particular scroll was opened, its ends faced towards the two large windows concealed behind the dark curtains. In between the opened scroll and large window was a person....a man, the one behind the faint scraping sound of the pointy tip of the quill pen in his grasp.

Underneath the chandelier, the man of ethereal beauty buried himself in doing his work with the help of the lighted candle on a candelabrum standing erect near the edge of the desk. His crimson eyes focused on the sharp strokes made on the paper of the scroll, and his glossy ebony hair unified with the endless abyss of the night.

His lips were drawn into a thin line as he focused on the matter at hand. His aristocratic clothes were the same as his hair, blending in the darkness that surrounds him.

''......''

All of a sudden, the scribbling stopped and the man raised his head, his blank gaze was forward, expecting someone to be in the room....or something.

''My lord.'' After a moment, a prickling eerie voice sounded at first, capable of sending terror to all except two people in the Langston Grand duchy.

But....then, the people were two. Now they were three.

''Lycos.'' The man called out a name, his voice the same as in the family dinner, full of authority and dominance.

''Yes my lord.'' In response, a very dark shadow of a person appeared right in the man's gaze. Swirling shadows that vanishes and appears to no end. No clothing, skin or anything on the shadow, apart from the way it seemed to wearing a robe with hood over its head.

The only thing visible underneath that hood was crimson glow like the eyes of a person darker than the man's own.

''You bothered my work.'' The one thing the man loathed in this world was to be bothered. His wives and children knew better than to disturb his peace.

''This one has reports, my lord.''

''What is it?'' The man released a frustrated soft sigh as he dropped the quill pen on the paper and fully concentrated on what Lycos wanted to tell him.

''Another has been sent to kill the fourth young lady.''

''......'' The man kept quiet for a moment and stared deeply at Lycos who patiently waited for him.

''And what am I supposed to do, Lycos?'' The man calmly asked after a brief pause.

''My lord's order was always to look after the fourth young lady.....''

''Lycos.'' The man whose identity was blatantly obvious from the ongoing conversation interrupted Lycos who was speaking. It was a rude act but not between them whose relationship was that of a master and a servant.

''How old is the fourth young lady?''

''.....'' Lycos did not respond to that simple question. He already knew the meaning behind the simple question alone.

''Forgive this one, my lord.'' Lycos's shadowy form bowed with his apology.

''She's no longer under my protection. If only her mother had accepted my request, then I wouldn't bother with such trivial matter.'' Saying that, the man picked up the quill pen, about to resume his scribbling. He added. ''The fourth young lady is at the age of succession. If she wants to kill and succeed me, she needs to stand on her own without help. If her death is the first among her siblings, then so be it. She is just a pathetic descedant of mine, that's all.''