Mr assassin

Much to Raven's relief, she was able to enter the carriage that she and the sixth madam used in arriving at the main manor before Edwin caught up to her. 

Immediately her butt touched the soft cushion of the carriage, her body suddenly relaxed even if she didn't intend for it to be that way. It was as if the tension from within has been released. 

''Too weak...'' Raven mumbled, her eyes looking down with a deep frown. In her former life, when she was still active as a dangerous criminal, her body had never relaxed like this. Even during her rest, she was always at alert and prepared for anything. 

With many bounties, and targets on her head, how could she have the time to relax, even if it was for a minute? 

It was the same with this body that she was in. 

Now that the original owner had reached the age of succession, she was like a lamb ready to be slaughtered in the midst of hungry wolves. Yet, she was never prepared for anything, and died an insignificant death, according to that novel. 

Just thinking about this gave Raven a sudden headache. Right. She still had to think about the fact that she was inside a novel. 

'I wonder if I changed something since I as Raven's character is still alive?' Raven couldn't help but think about that question. Since she was inside a novel written by someone, then everything must follow the person's writing. Each significant and insignificant characters have their fates and endings written by the author, but she as Raven Langston was still alive. 

Raven didn't know if this was a good or bad for her. 

As she was in thoughts, the door to the carriage suddenly opened, and her gaze shifted to the sixth madam entering the carriage with the help of a maid. 

Once the sixth madam was settled opposite Raven, the door went shut, blocking the outside world from both mother and daughter. Soon after, the carriage began to wheel back to their manor. 

''Why did you accept that challenge when the victory is not your hands, Raven?'' Unlike before, the sixth madam initiated a conversation with the child in front of her. 

'So you speak now...' Raven was amused. She never knew the always quiet sixth madam was a curious person. 

''Why do you say that, mother?'' Raven asked. Her eyes deeply focused on the sixth madam, waiting for her reply. 

''Death awaits you, Raven. That battle is your ending and everyone in this Grand duchy knows it.'' The sixth madam bluntly said without sugar-coating her words. 

''And mother thinks I am not aware of that?'' Raven returned. ''I thought mother does not want to have the weakest successor in the Langston Grand duchy?'' She questioned further with a smile on her lips. 

''....I never knew my words will be considered this much.'' The sixth madam said after a pause. Her eyes also fixed on Raven, trying to see through the thoughts of the smiling girl. In her heart, she was a bit puzzled about the sudden change. 

Her daughter was never one to speak like this. 

''So mother wants me to behave like before? I thought you find that version of myself very annoying, mother.'' The sixth madam's words were somewhat funny to Raven. When the original owner was alive, the sixth madam hated her weak and soft behavior. Now that her behavior was different, she still had something to say about that. 

However, Raven did not look past those words. For the sixth madam to say that, it meant she was a little suspicious. Raven knew that, and the best way to diminish that suspicion was by speaking like this.