The Challenge (1)

A Life and Death Battle.

Exactly as the name portrayed, the battle was about fighting until one of the opponents surrendered, and not just surrendering.

The person who surrendered to the other must die at the hands of that opponent.

In a way, the succession battle in the Langston family was the same. The only difference between the two battles was that the succession battle was every day in the Langston family after the descendants reach the age of succession, but the Life and Death battle only last for a day, meaning that one of the opponents must meet their death within a day.

The Langston children were not stupid to initiate this battle. It was like an unspoken agreement between them. The Life and Death battle was indeed the fastest way to clear out their opponents for the heir position, but one must have a good reason that will be accepted and not forced by both parties.

Besides that, the Langston siblings were very careful with one another. The older siblings hardly interacted with each other, and so, the life and death battle was gradually forgotten, or not given that much attention.

The seat of the Grand duke's heir was their ultimate goal.

Though the older siblings did not bother to initiate challenges, that did not mean they were blind to their younger siblings' ambitions. As long as their younger siblings were in war with themselves, their opponents for the heir position would reduce little by little without them lifting a finger.

The Fifth madam was aware of this fact. She knew the older children looked down on her son as a worthless opponent, but she was happy about that for now.

Among the traditions of the succession battle in the Langston family, there was something that every child who reaches their age of succession does. Once a child clocked eight years old, they have a battle with the sibling that was closest to them in terms of age.

That was the reason why there was a battle between her son and the fourth young lady. It was a succession battle that only lasted for a day, and the only battle that death between the opponents was not allowed.

Though there was such rule, fifth madam encouraged her son to kill the fourth young lady. She couldn't let such chance of killing a weak opponent slip through her fingers. If any of the wives were in her position, they would have done the same.

Who in the Langston family truly stuck by the rules? It would be laughable if there was really an innocent person amongst them.

Fifth madam had already come up with an excuse for her son. After the death of the fourth young lady, she would have said that her son was unable to control his strength. He was just a ten-year-old, and having a skilled swordsmanship at that young age was very impressive in the empire.

After all, it was that same skill that had helped her son when he also reached the age of succession.

It was also widely known that fourth young lady was very weak, and the weakest among the children of the Grand duke. No one would blame her son for ending her life. They would only point out her flaw which was her weakness, and that was not supposed to be, because all children of the grand duke must have received special training for the succession battle before that age of succession.

Fifth Madam believed that the fourth young lady's weakness was a blessing in disguise. She and the other wives have been wanting to end her life because of one thing.

Her pure blood.

Apart from the second young master, she was the only child that fully resembled the grand duke. Her eyes were not multi-colored like most of the other children.