CHAPTER 43

Chapter 43: Intruder & Confession

"IS THERE a problem, Ms. Vallejos?" he asked me. Napansin niya yata na tila may kakaiba sa akin. Na parang hindi rin ako mapakali sa kinauupuan ko.

"N-Nothing, I'm sorry, Mr. Mahler," I answered and cleared my throat then glanced at Mergus again.

Will he stare at me like that all the time with a threat in his eyes? I'm not going to do anything that will annoy him because I might be the one who annoys him, because I'm in the middle of my work and I still have something to deal with.

I just hope he doesn't do anything that will ruin our meeting with Mr. Mahler. Why did he get here so fast? That's impossible, right? Narinig ko nga kahapon na walang flight at ngayon pa iyon.

"Okay."

"President Vallejos told me that you are going to build your new business in the Philippines. You have chosen our company, we can provide you our construction workers," I started the meeting. Gusto kong i-direct topic na para matapos na ang meeting na ito.

"Yes, and I also found out that you are an engineer, Dad also wants you to handle it so it's like a project of yours when we talk about everything, right Ms. Vallejos?" I nodded.

"Uhm... No problem. I have a contract with me in case everything is settled with us. Here---"

"Ms. Vallejos, we still have plenty of time to talk about that. How about we eat first?" sabat niya sa sasabihin ko pa sana.

"Ha? Uhm... Yes, yes," sagot ko at ilang beses akong tumango dahil sa nararamdaman kong pagkailang. Hindi ako sure kung dahil ba iyon sa panonood sa akin ng fiancé ko or ang mga kakaibang titig sa akin ni Mr. Mahler.

"You're not in a hurry, are you?" he asked.

"Not really. All right," I said.

Ibinigay sa amin ng waiter ang menu at pumili na rin ako nang kakainin ko. Lunch meeting naman ito.

"I found out that you have moved to the Philippines. Are you still coming back to Canada?" he suddenly asked me. Why is he asking about that? We should only be talking about business. "It's fine if I ask about your personal life, right? Because I know that it is more important for you to get our deal. Entrepreneurs are like that. They are doing their best to make the settlement work," he added.

"You're right about that, Mr. Mahler. Alright, it's okay, I don't mind." That's all there is to it at wala na siyang tatanungin pa bukod doon.

"Are you going to stay there? I know it's chaotic in the Philippines." Chaotic? He means magulo ang buhay sa Philippines?

"Yes, we decided to live there for good," I said

"That's good. We people are really going back to our country, where we started. My family and I will do the same thing," he uttered. Taga-roon din pala siya. Hindi ko na naman napigilan na tumingin sa direction ni Mergus. May drinks na siyang iniinom at nakangalumbaba pa rin siya. "Why are you constantly looking at the other table?" Napapitlag naman ako sa gulat.

"Huh? Nothing, and are you going to set up your new company in the Philippines because you intend to live there for good?" Ako naman ang nagtanong sa kanya.

"Yes, I was born there too, I just grew up in Italy," he answered.

"Ah..."

"You... I heard that you were born here and grew up in Canada. I know you had a hard time adjusting to the new environment in the Philippines. It's more peaceful here and in Canada." Tama siya, tama siya na mas peaceful nga rito at walang gulo pero...