Chapter 58 : Surrender becomes Power.

July 18th
Taehyung POV

"You're going to America with us." That sentence gave me goosebumps. I didn't expected that.

I was thinking they might ask me where I was or to not hang out much and focus on my studies, but this was unbearable.

"What? I'm sorry. I won't hang out ever again. Please, dad." I apologized.

"No, son. This is not a punishment. It's urgent to go to America. There's a lot of profit there. If we work-"

"Just work and profit. It has always been this. Can you ever care for anything besides these? Is money all that matters to you? Am I nothing?"

"Calm yourself, Taehyung. You don't respect us anymore." Martha said.

"You're young and naive. You certainly don't know what's right for you."

"But, dad, I'm at the perfect age to know what makes me happy, and what you're planning certainly won't. I have my friends here; I was born and raised here."

"Friends! A stupid word. You won't die without them, and they won't either. It's just a passing of time with them. You'll make many friends in America." Martha snapped.

"Dad, please don't do this..." I said.

"Son, this is important. I'm afraid I'd have to deny your request this time." dad said.

"Yes, and it's not as if we won't be coming back. We will come back soon, in about three years more or less." she smiled.

This hurts like hell!!

"I hate you, dad. All you have ever loved is money." I probably said too much. Dad looked hurt and ran to my room.

I never thought I'd have to face a moment like this one. Leaving my own country isn't a joke. I know it must be important; that's why we're shifting to America. But what about my friends and Jungkook?

I didn't even think about how I'm gonna tell him this. He might be angry. Hell yeah, he'll be so much furious. We had to move just when I started dating him.

********
I sat on the desk exhausted, surrounded by my friends forming a circle. They looked puzzled and hopeless, their eyes filled with uncertainty and gloom. There was silence amidst the chattering of other students around us.

"So you're just going to... I understand," Hoseok said, smiling and patting my shoulder with encouragement. "It must be important; Elders don't do anything unless it's necessary."

"I hope so." I replied with a nod.

I glanced over at Jimin, who remained silent, lost in his troubled thoughts. His face displayed worry, and I struggled to find the right words to say to him.

"Jimin, are you okay?" I asked, walking up to him with a hopeful smile.

"I'm fine," he snapped, pushing me away harshly. "Don't act like you care for us. Leaving as if we meant nothing to you? Great. Can't you stand up to your parents and stop them? You're nothing but a coward." He pushed me again until I fell to the ground.

"Jimin, have you gone insane?" Hoseok yelled.

"Yeah, I think I am," tears streaming from his eyes. "But it's better being insane than a coward." With that, Jimin taunted me and ran away.

Hoseok squatted down to meet my eyes. I looked down, trying to control my tears. It wasn't his fault. I knew I should have done something, but...

He wiped a tear from my cheek and gave me a tight hug. We stayed like that for a minute, trying to hold ourselves together. I knew it was going to be hard, but life goes on. They would soon forget about me and move on happily with their lives.

A terrifying fear crept over me at the thought of Jungkook forgetting me someday. I closed my eyes, taking a sharp breath.

Hoseok broke the hug and looked at me. "Did you tell Jungkook?" he asked, reading my face.

"No. I'll call him tonight." I replied. I was afraid to face him while breaking the news. Perhaps it would be better to inform him over the phone, with fewer emotions and tears. I didn't want to see him hurt.

"No. That would be wrong. Talk to him in person. Not meeting him could lead to more problems. If you talk to him calmly and kindly, facing him, he'd probably understand." Hoseok advised.

"Fine, I'll try," I replied, nodding weakly with a faint smile.

While Hoseok and I were discussing my plans to shift, Yumi approached us. Hoseok whispered something in her ear, and her eyes showed an unreadable emotion—neither happy nor sad. She was dressed in her usual cute outfits with her silky hair flowing down.

"Can I talk to him for a minute?" She asked Hoseok sweetly.

"Yeah, sure." he replied and left.

Yumi smiled and sat beside me, fidgeting with her fingers awkwardly, which made the moment uncomfortable.

"I heard you're leaving for the US," she said with an awkward smile.

"Yeah.." I replied, uncertain about what to say, considering her involvement in Starley's cruel plans.

"It must be tough for you, leaving your friends and... boyfriend." she continued.

"Yes." I nodded, and she let out a sigh.

"I'm sorry. I know you won't trust me anymore. But I want to tell you that, even though Starley was my friend, I had no idea she was capable of such things. I only helped her... in seducing you" Yumi confessed, looking down at her hands, clearly embarrassed.

The desire to slap her still remained, but I resisted. I had fought with Jungkook because of her. But that's okay so long as she's apologizing.

"It's fine. I accept your apology, but I'm not ready to forgive you," I said, letting out a sigh. "I'm not that big hearted. Since I started dating Jungkook, there had been many difficulties and we faced it together. But it hurts to realize that most of our problems were coming from one person."

Yumi bit her lip, avoiding my gaze. "I had feelings for you. But you were the one  ignored me throughout our junior school years. Then you suddenly came in my life and used me."  I said.

"I feel ashamed, Taehyung. Believe me. I didn't intend to hurt you. I started liking you when we grew apart and i thought you'd come back to me. The seduction was half real to be true. I genuinely like you but I like you enough to let you go. " she confessed, clenching her fist.

She didn't spoke in a cringy cute voice this time. Her tone was different now—more real than ever before.

"I..." I hesitated, taken aback by her honesty.

"I know I'm not acting like myself right now, but I can't help it. I'm burdened with guilt for what I've done to you. I've been wearing a mask for so long to be that girl but I've lost sight of my true self. I know you hated me for being fake. I'm truly sorry." she sighed again.

"W-what?" I stuttered as she brought her face close to mine, almost as if she wanted to kiss me.

"You can slap me. I deserve it," she said, lowering her head. "I'm such a fucking idiot. I have never realised that being pretty isn't everything."

I was shocked right now. She seemed like a completely different person. She never swears and she used to always talk in a sweet, honey-like voice with an expression that made it seem like she was always happy. She used to act like an innocent girl with a cringey and clingy personality.

"I guess we all have our secrets and flaws that we try to hide from the world." I backed away from her.

"True," she glanced over at her friends calling for her. "Thanks, Taehyung." she said to me, standing up.

"For what?" I asked.

"For teaching me to be real." she smiled. This smile wasn't as sweet as her usual one, but it was different. It didn't make her any less beautiful. I smiled back, and she walked off to her friends.