Chapter 72

Alex's POV

My heart raced, threatening to burst from my chest at any moment.

Upon hearing her voice, laden with pain, I felt deep remorse for the harm I had inflicted upon her.

Slowly opening the door, I was confronted by her swollen, red eyes, realizing that I was the cause of her suffering. Despite my earnest attempts, I couldn't undo the pain I had inflicted.

Seated on the edge of the bed, she appeared small and weary. I approached her, taking a seat in front of her.

Though I tried to hold her hands, she pulled them back as if I carried an electric current. While her actions hurt me, I knew that I had inflicted far more pain upon her. Tears welled in her eyes, and though I longed to wipe away every fucking tear I had caused, I couldn't, not at this moment.

"Sarah," I whispered, struggling to find my voice.

Our eyes met again, and tears threatened to spill over in hers.

"Dove, I..." I faltered, unsure of what to say.

I yearned to express my love for her, but the mix of emotions in her eyes held my words captive—anger, sadness, hurt, and confusion.

"Sarah, I... I don't even know where to begin. What you witnessed at the office wasn't what it seemed. I understand it looked bad, but you have to believe me, Sarah. I would never cheat on you. I pushed her away the moment it happened," my voice quivered with regret.

"What was it, Alex? Why did she kiss you?" Her voice wavered with uncertainty.

"I genuinely don't know, Sarah. I swear I didn't initiate that kiss, and I pushed her away as soon as I could. You have to believe me—I would never cheat on you," I pleaded, locking eyes with her.

"She caught me off guard, and I didn't react swiftly enough. I should have been more vigilant. It was my fault, and I'm deeply sorry for that," my voice conveyed desperation for her understanding.

She closed her eyes as if she were reliving the moment. I saw tears spilling and heard her sniffles. I couldn't fathom the hurt she must feel seeing me with someone else. The mere thought of her with anyone else made my blood boil. How she refrained from beating me right now boggled my mind.

"Sarah, I understand why you're hurt and upset. If I could turn back time and prevent that kiss, I would do it in a heartbeat," I spoke softly, making an effort not to exacerbate her pain.

"How did she know?" She spoke with a quivering voice.

"Know what, Dove?" I asked, confused about what she was referring to.

"When I walked in, she said that she knows you haven't had... you know, in a long time because I-I..." Her tears flowed faster, and her voice broke.

I cut her off because I couldn't let her blame herself for something she wasn't at fault for. Taking her hands in mine, I assured her, "I don't know. I think she overheard my conversation with Daniel when she was outside my office. I promise I never told her anything or anyone else, for that matter."

She nodded, seemingly understanding my point, but then her gaze shifted to our intertwined hands, and in a soft, hushed tone, she uttered, "Amelia."

Confused about whom she was referring to, I initially thought she had mistaken Bertha's name for Amelia's. Then, I recalled what Dan had told me. I tightened my grip on her hands and reassured her, "I was never with anyone, Dove. Never. I don't know why she was spreading lies about me, but trust me, baby, I would never turn to her."

She looked at me with intense eyes, yearning to know more.

"I was in the kitchen, grappling with my emotions that night. I just needed some air to clear my head. I was deep in my thoughts when an emergency came up at one of the clubs, and I lost track of time. I promise I wasn't with anyone or anywhere except with you," I explained, hoping she would understand that I would never abandon her for anyone.