Chapter 67

Third Person POV

Early in the morning, around 4, Sarah woke up. She looked around to figure out where she was. Upon seeing the familiar surroundings of her room she relaxed. But upon seeing Alex sleeping beside her, tears started flowing again, and her breathing increased. She couldn't bear to be near him after what she had witnessed at his office.

Feeling broken and betrayed, she couldn't stay close to him; it was shattering her heart into a million pieces with every passing second. She gently removed his hand from her waist and quickly went to the bathroom, trying to conceal her cries.

Sitting under the cold shower fully clothed for some time, crying, she stood up, thinking her tears had dried. However, when she looked in the mirror, she began crying again, realising she was still wearing a blue dress that matched the colour of his eyes-the eyes she loved the most and the eyes that had betrayed her.

Hurriedly shedding the uncomfortable dress, nearly tripping and hurting herself in the process, she wrapped a towel around herself and chose a black dress from her closet. That reflected what her life had become-Dark.

Returning to the room and seeing Alex still sleeping on the bed, memories of their shared moments flooded her mind. Feeling claustrophobic, she decided to leave the room. Hastily walking into the closet and packing a small bag with necessities and clothes, she grabbed her phone, charger, and purse.

She left the room, quickly descending the stairs in tears, calling a cab, and arriving at her parents' house by 5.45, after half an hour of waiting for the cab to arrive.

Knowing it was too early for her parents to be awake, she rang the bell. But she had nowhere else to go right now as she could not live with Alex right now. After a 10-minute wait, her mother opened the door.

"Uhh! Why are you here early in the morning?" Catherine spoke with disdain.

"Mom, Alex... he..." Tears rolling down, Sarah tried to hug her mother for comfort, but Catherine pushed her away.

"What do you want?" Catherine said nonchalantly, showing no concern for Sarah's tears.

"Mom... Alex cheated on me... I ... I can't live there... he.." Sarah tried to explain, between her sobs and heavy breaths, but Catherine interrupted.

"Why are you crying for it? It's not like he loved you anyway. It was about time he cheated on you. Have you ever looked at yourself, and how ugly and fat you've gotten in the past year? And why are you always crying? No wonder he had to find other beautiful women for his needs," Catherine said in a harsh tone.

Sarah cried even more, her breath becoming erratic. She was hurt not only by her mother's words but by the truth they held. She had just realized the reasons behind Alex's actions. She thought it was her fault for not being beautiful, not being knowledgeable about sexual acts, and always being in tears. No wonder Alex was seeking solace elsewhere, away from someone like her-someone nobody would want to be with.

"Mom,... can I-I stay here for some days?" Sarah asked between sobs.

"We didn't marry you for you to return and be a burden on us again, now did we?" Catherine said angrily.

"Mom, please, I have nowhere else..." Sarah tried to plead, but Catherine cut her off.

"Stop being a loser and go back to your in-laws. You are their responsibility now, not mine," Catherine said, closing the door on Sarah's face.

Sarah looked at the closed gates for some time and then turned to the street. She couldn't go back because she didn't want to be near Alex, believing he didn't want her. Even her own parents didn't want her.