Chapter 49

Alex's POV

Seeing her in Noah's arms made me furious as hell. I was on the verge of hitting him, but then Sarah came running to me, crying, and I was even more furious at him.

If that person had hurt her in any way, I would have killed him right there. But then he told me what happened. I would have killed that scoundrel who dared to touch my wife.

But when she returned to 'thank' him, she hugged him. My mind couldn't stop doubting everything.

Am I making the same mistake of trusting someone with my feelings? Am I too quick to ignore the clear signs of betrayal? Is this all an act of innocence? Am I just a means of power and money once again? Can I handle all of it once more? I remembered my days after all that happened and how difficult it was for Dan to handle me back then. I don't think I would be able to go through all that again this time when I'm in even deeper mud.

But then I saw her eyes light up when she saw the Christmas lights. This can't be fake, right? She can't be like her, can she? I pushed my doubts far away into a corner so that I could enjoy the beauty sitting beside me, just like a kid who smiled at the sight of Christmas lights and was excited for her winter break.

But then her smile faltered. Is she thinking about that person who hurt her? I'm going to deal with him in my own way later.

When she said she had never celebrated Christmas, I made it my mission to make her Christmas special. It was special for me too because it was our first Christmas together and her very first one. I'm going to plan something very special for her to make her smile. I can't stand to see her sad.

I dropped Sarah off at home and made sure she rested. She fell asleep immediately; I think she was exhausted from all the crying and how scared she was.

I called Daniel while Sarah peacefully slept in our room as we had a situation to handle.

"Daniel, we've got a little situation on our hands."

"What's up, trouble magnet? Something interesting on the horizon? What's the adventure today?" He knew I don't call him Daniel unless it's something serious. And by 'situation,' he exactly knows what I was hinting at.

"It appears we have a rascal in hand who thought it was a good idea to mess with Sarah."

Daniel chuckles, "Ah, the ever so misguided souls who underestimate the power of your wrath, my friend."

"Precisely. So, are you in for a little field trip to teach this individual some manners?" I said, grinning into the phone, knowing well that Dan would also enjoy our little trip.

Daniel spoke enthusiastically, "Count me in! But, Alex, let's try not to completely crush the poor fellow. We wouldn't want to get a bad reputation for being overly aggressive, would we?"

I laugh, "Agreed, we'll just give him a gentle reminder of why it's a bad idea to mess with the people we care about."

Daniel said, and I could hear the smirk in his voice, "Oh, it's going to be one of those nights, isn't it? I'm looking forward to it. Let's go, partner in crime."

I drove to Daniel's house and explained the whole situation; it was already evening. Then he did God knows what on his phone and said, "Found them," showing me his phone with a location.

We reached the location in no time. There was a group of boys playing basketball. We got out of our cars, rolling up our sleeves for easy movement.