Chapter 40

Mia's POV

Ever since I met Daniel during Sarah's dinner arrangements, I couldn't stop thinking about what he had said. The following day, when Alex confided in me about Daniel's feelings for me, I found myself unable to control my emotions and spent the entire day in tears and alcohol.

I had put in so much effort over the years to avoid falling for someone again. I had moulded myself into a person who only sought casual hookups and avoided anything serious. Then, Daniel came into my life. The very first night we met, I sensed that there was something unique about this guy. His smile possessed the power to reach the deepest corners of my heart that I had long kept locked away.

Throughout the time we spent together, he demonstrated an understanding of my reluctance to answer personal questions, always lightening the mood with some silliness.

I tried to build my walls so high that no one would be ever able to climb them. What I hadn't anticipated was that this person would arrive with the equivalent of a bulldozer and dismantle all my barriers.

I liked him, I liked him far more than what was good for me. I couldn't allow myself to like him. I couldn't afford to fall for someone again, only to be hurt once more. Yet, staying away from him, and witnessing the pain in his eyes when he confessed his feelings for me and I replied that I didn't share them, hurt me far more than I had ever experienced.

I pondered the possible outcomes of accepting his offer and allowing his words to come true. I couldn't bring myself to trust him or anyone else. I couldn't allow myself to become vulnerable and shattered again, as he would, inevitably, break the trust after earning it. Because, in the end, they all do.

What if he couldn't keep his promises and earn my trust? I already cared for him, and I wasn't prepared to discover that he might not be what I hoped.... No.

After extensive contemplation, I arrived at a single conclusion, all ways would result in me hurting myself once more, but this time even more deeply, for I knew that despite my defenses, he had already come remarkably close to breaching them.

However, what hurt me even more was the thought of not trying, of not granting him the opportunity he deserved. I was aware that not everyone was the same, but not everyone was entirely different either. I couldn't bear to see him hurt because I lacked the guts to leave my past behind and move forward. I had been hurt before, and his proximity to me meant that he, too, might get hurt. That was the last thing I wanted.

***

It's been a week and I learned from Sarah that there is an issue with Alex and Daniel's company. I don't have all the details, and neither does she, but she mentioned that both of them aren't eating or sleeping, and the situation is quite dire.

I can't approach him with my acceptance of his offer for six months right now. What he needs most is people who love and support him. I can't add my concerns to his plate at this moment.

I'll wait until the situation is resolved.

I never expected that waiting for someone would be this hard. It's been two weeks since I decided to give him a chance, and every day I contemplate calling him or sending a message. However, I hold back, believing it's not the right time.

But I can't wait any longer, so today, I'm going to his house to tell him everything. He's going through a tough time, and my intention is to offer my support without adding to his burdens. I understand he needs someone with him; he shouldn't be alone right now.

He needs me more than ever, particularly because, during our time together, I've come to realise he's a very sensitive person who requires emotional support. He misses his mother the most in these situations. While I can't replace his mother's role, I will do my best to be there for him. So, here I am, waiting in my car outside his house, as he isn't home.