Chapter 9: Meeting the Wolves

Wolves in the wild usually mark their own territory to warn other wolves not to approach here and to prevent unnecessary conflicts. Qi Chu has slept next to Huo Bei for so long, and is very familiar with Huo Bei's breath.

The dog's sense of smell is indeed very sensitive. For the first time, Qi Chu felt that there were a variety of smells in the air, but he could accurately identify Huo Bei's breath.

He wagged his tail and walked with unskilled steps. The four legs seemed to have just met each other, and they were not familiar with each other. He even walked a little bit sideways. Huo Bei stared at the back of Qi Chu's departure, and abruptly moved his eyes away from the other's wagging tail.

Few wolves have tails as fluffy and soft as Qi Chu's tail. Huo Bei raised his paw, thinking about the touch of Qi Chu's tail last night, it really surprised him, even the fur of a wolf cub is not so soft.

But it licked Qi Chu's tail purely because Qi Chu's tail liked to wag too much, and it was a little dazzled to stare at it.

"Wow--" Huo Bei raised his head, and let out a long and menacing wolf howl. The sound echoed in the forest, and after a while, he heard a wolf howl not far away, but this sound was extremely short and intermittent, and finally turned into "Wow, woof, woof, woof", without any trailing sound.

Huo Bei sighed deeply.

Through this special wolf howl, it could tell Qi Chu's position almost immediately, and probably knew that the other party was not too far away from him. The place where they rested was downhill, and it was indeed a bit slippery, making it difficult to walk.

"Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..." the short howls of wolves continued to sound, as if they were reporting their location to Huo Bei, but after getting no response from Huo Bei, even the howling gradually became subdued and gradually disappeared.

Huo Bei licked his paw, subconsciously glanced at the place where the sound disappeared, and swept the snow on the ground with his tail indifferently.

The previous snowy owl still returned to the original tree branch, hooked its claws on the branch, gently flapped its wings to shake off a little snow, tilted its head, looked at the wolf under the tree, and seemed to wonder why there was only one left.

There were also two wolf howls from the farther lake. The wolves howled to attract their friends, and often the wolves nearby would howl too. The second child, Sawyer, raised his head and sniffed the smell in the air, then turned his head to the wolves behind him and said, "Let's rest in place for now."

The third son Hero shook off the snowflakes on his back, lowered his upper body, sniffed along the roots of the tree, then shook his head at Sawyer and said, "There is no smell of Huo Bei."

Although this was expected by Sawyer, it still drooped its tail in disappointment. Its ferocious wolf face showed a bit of worry. It calmly glanced at the Garno and Galle brothers who were not far away, and then whispered: "Third brother, I didn't really take the wrong path, did I?"

The youngest Hero looked at it with meaningful eyes.

*

It was indeed a bit strenuous for Qi Chu to walk up the slope. His claws were not as sharp as Huo Bei's wolf claws, and sometimes they couldn't catch the ground. Moreover, the claws were dry and bleeding, and it was painful to step on the snowdrifts. Qi Chu had to stop occasionally to lick his claws.

He sat on the ground, raised his head and howled a few times, and followed Huo Bei, but the other party didn't let him bark at all. Last night he clearly heard Huo Bei's wolf howling, and when he was about to howl together, Huo Bei's wolf paw pressed Qi Chu's dog's mouth.