Chapter 82: Hit Him Where it Hurts

Double basilisk day!!

~~Damien/Ronan~~

The first thing he'd done that first day was fix that damn step. Marie had nearly fallen down the stairs from the thing, so it needed to get into place.

Something he found interesting was that the other servants all but ignored him, and none of them tried talking to him at all. He wasn't sure if that was because they were just like that or because of the ruse that Marie had made about him not speaking English. One of the girls was always staring after him though, which he found a bit annoying.

Marie doesn't like it either. She bristles around the girl. Ronan said in amusement.

Bristles? Like how?

She's protective of us. I quite like it. Ronan said smugly.

Damien peered up the stairs where Marie was busy cleaning the house up on the upper level. Protective? Of him? No one had ever really been protective of him before, he'd always been the one protecting others. He... kind of liked that. Marie would watch his back when he wasn't able to.

You always think about fighting. Ronan sighed in dismay. She's protective of us because she may like us, and doesn't like the girl staring at us like we're a big piece of cake.

Cake? He laughed inwardly at the analogy. If he always thought of fighting, Ronan always thought of food.

Cake is good! Ronan huffed in embarrassment.

And how would he know that? He hadn't had cake in a long while, not since turning into a werewolf.

I'm not sure. Ronan said anxiously. Focus on the step!

Changing the subject again. But fine.

"Reparo." He said, pointing his wand toward the step with the spell, but frowned when it didn't fix itself.

It's broken through magic. Ronan growled anxiously.

Very strange. Also very unnerving, because it meant someone broke it on purpose.

"Hello, Damien." One of the servant girls said from behind him. It was the one who was always staring after him.

He turned around in surprise and smiled softly, making sure not to reveal his fangs. "Bonjour." He said happily.

She seemed to twitter happily from that, walking past him up the stairs, but he did notice she skipped the broken step. Either it was out of habit or... because she knew it wouldn't be fixed.

Do you think one of them is trying to hurt Marie? Ronan asked gruffly.

The thought made him want to growl angrily, but Ronan had a point. If Marie was the only one tripping over the step and the others knew to avoid it then it may be on purpose. Perhaps it was even activating only when someone other than the other three servants were around.

Well, they were dealing with a Keeper. His job was to fix things, so he was going to damn well fix it.

"Revelio." He cast, looking at the step curiously and noticed the whole board was enchanted. "Finite Incantatem." He tried, but it still didn't make the board go down.

Curious... because that meant his 'normal' magic was weaker than whoever had cast this. But unfortunately for them he wasn't a normal Wizard.

He glanced back down the stairs and then back up to make sure the coast was clear, bringing forth the blue glow of this ancient magic. "Finite incantatem." He said firmly, this time using the ancient magic as the catalyst for the spell.