Chapter 57: Power and Emptiness

Beauty and the Beast...

~~Ariadne~~

Ariadne smiled up to Ominis when they finally finished Pride and Prejudice, bringing her arms up to wrap around his neck as she leaned up and kissed him gently. He hummed happily at the kiss and wrapped his arms around her again, smiling against her lips in a way that made her heart flutter wildly. His smile only widened and she giggled as she realized he had heard her heart go wild at his touch.

"I wish we could be carefree like this forever." Ariadne sighed softly, liking just snuggling with him out in the open like this. She knew eventually they would have to return to the manor and deal with his family again.

"I was thinking about that, actually." Ominis said softly. "I want to make sure Damien is safe, but... if it comes to it, we could always bring them back with us if it proves too dangerous to stay here."

Ariadne sat up in surprise as she looked up to him with wide eyes. "Bring them back with us?"

"Of course, it's not like we don't have room for them in the manor if it's needed." He chuckled.

"What about... full moons?" Ariadne said anxiously. "It's London, it won't exactly be subtle."

"The secret room." Ominis grinned. "It would be easy enough to add another chamber down there. A bit of conjuring, a bit of tunneling spells..."

Ariadne gave a soft sound of amusement at how easy he thought that would be. Did he know how impressive that was?! "You have thought about this, haven't you?" She smiled up to him, running her hand through his hair, smoothing it back gently.

"I don't think Marie would like leaving Damien here alone as he is... and I daresay Damien might be distraught without her as well." He said softly. "I wouldn't want to separate them, anyway. But... I know my father is searching for us. By this point they know we're not in Yorkshire." He said darkly.

She let out a soft nervous sound at the thought, not liking the idea of Marvolo prowling after them. Who knew what he would do when he found them...

"Don't worry, Ari." Ominis said gently, kissing her cheek. "I won't let them do anything to you again."

She smiled at his reassurance, leaning her head on his shoulder. "I know." She said softly, feeling safe with him. She knew he would protect her. But still... she didn't want him to get hurt, either.

"We need to figure out a way to get your family away from us." She said fiercely, angry that they loomed over their happiness like a dark cloud. "I'm so tired of always having to look over our shoulder."

Ominis made a soft sound and nodded against her. "I agree..." He said thoughtfully. "Father uses his wealth and reputation to his-" He stopped, his eyes going wide.

"What?" She looked up to him in concern that he had stopped, but leaned back a bit in surprise when he made such a wicked smile.

"Father uses his wealth and reputation to get what he wants." Ominis said in a dark tone.

"Yes...?" Ariadne tilted her head in confusion. That was a given.

"Then we should take away his tools." Ominis grinned wildly.

"How would we do that?" Ariadne asked curiously.

"Well, father invests money in different industries around the wizarding world... it's what sustains his wealth." Ominis said, deep in thought. "If we can make sure he loses money instead of gaining money... it would take away a significant amount of his power over people."

Ariadne giggled wildly at the thought of them not able to have that control over people. "And considering they just paid my dowry they're likely in debt, too!" She pointed out with a grin.