Chapter 26: Hold Me

Take as old as time...

~~Ariadne~~

Ariadne leaned back in the tub once Marie had left, closing her eyes as she sank further into the water. The hot water helped her relax, but she was still shaking a bit as her head revolved with memories from what had happened. She hated how she was replaying it in her head again and again, as if she couldn't stop it.

She let out a soft whimper and sunk further into the water, wrapping her arms around herself in the warmth as she let the water go up to her chin for added comfort.

She stayed in the water until it started to turn cold, which unfortunately wasn't long. As she started shivering softly from the cool air against her damp skin she sighed in frustration and decided to get out, drying off to put on her nightgown to read. She doubted she'd be sleeping much tonight. Not with these thoughts and memories haunting her.

Her hair was still wet when she decided to do something different, setting it into rag twists for the night. That way in the morning she would have some nice curls and maybe feel a bit prettier than she felt right now.

She sighed and took long strips of fabric to set the curls up, wrapping her hair around the strip before tying it up, looking over when there was a knock at the door when she was almost through. It must be Marie.

She went over to open the door, tying up the last curl curl while she walked. "Hello Ma-" she froze at the sight of Ominis, who was looking rather nervous as he stood in the doorway of the room.

She felt her heart suddenly hammer, a myriad of emotions filling her. Frustration, anger, relief, happiness, fear, sorrow, the whole myriad of emotions parading through her. She put a hand to her chest from how conflicted she felt at the sight of him, looking away from him as she had a hard time dealing with the strength of some of the emotions. "Hello Ominis." She said softly.

"Hello, Ariadne." He answered, his expression twisting a bit more at the awkward and strained air between them.

She rubbed an arm anxiously as they stood in the awkward silence between them, that heated spark that had been there only a day before suddenly cooled. "I guess you want to go to bed?" She said softly, trying to break the silence as she moved out of the way for him.

He came in and closed the door, frowning as she stayed a short distance away from him. "I came because I wanted to talk." He said softly.

"About what?" Ariadne feigned ignorance.

"You know what." Ominis said in a bit of frustration. "I want to help. I'm... sorry I wasn't here for you when we came home."

Ariadne looked up at him, seeing the struggle on his face as he fought through the words. "Why weren't you?" She asked, trying not to let her emotions get the best of her as tears threatened to flow again.

"I..." he started, but let out a deep weary sigh. "I was angry with myself for what I did. I thought you would want space from... a man."

Ariadne felt a shiver race down her spine as she realized why he might think that, a little shuddering breath escaping her.

She looked up as he moved forward in concern, a hand reaching out, but he seemed to rethink it, his hand balling into a fist before falling back at his side again.

"I want to help." He said desperately. "But I don't know how."

She looked up at him with wide eyes, and now she couldn't help the tears that fell, glad that he still wanted to be around her enough to want to help her. She'd been so afraid that he'd... not see her the same way.